This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• substrate opinions?

Hi all it's been a while since I was last online, hope your all ok and your boas too! ;D.

I was just wondering what you all thought about using peatmoss, as a substrate for boas and pythons that require a very high humidity, I know not many of you keep such boids but your ideas are all welcome, I have been using this substrate with my blood python for a year now with no problems, but I fairly recently aquired a trio of cooke's tree boas for a breeding project, I was struggeling to keep the humidity up in there temporary accomodation so used the peatmoss, on several occations I have found the substrate inbetween the teeth and lip of the boas, but as yet have had no problems with them, the python burrows deep into this substrate and I have yet to find any in its mouth? note that none of the boids are fed on this substrate, I dont understand how the cooke's get it in there mouth? especially as thay are tree dwellers and dont burrow?has anyone ever used this substrate or something similer. Any ideas or experiances would be greatly appreciated. ;D

Re: substrate opinions?

I have heard that alot of people use peat moss for blood pythons, matter of fact the Rep store I got my Boa at used peat moss to house there bloods. For the other two snakes that get it in there mouths, if its not a whole lot, just a little I wouldnt be worried.

Comment

Hi,
      I just reveiwed and article in Reptile Magazine on Bloods and the Breeder of Blood uses  newspaper for substrate and moss in plastic dishes covered with clay pot dish.. This allows a very tight hide that bloods like and extra humidity in the hide.
       They like the paper because its easy to keep clean and dosen't readily mold in high humidty like some barks.
           That mold can be a real problem..
        doug
       I ve used paper with  rainbow boa's that like high humidty and never had mold in the cage.  
        I also use paper in all my cages now due to ease of cleaning and it help hold humidty if moist but dosent cause blisster disease unless saturated.  Perfect for them pre-shed days.
         doug

Comment

Hi Luke. I've always heard that peat moss works well w/ these types of snakes, too.

BTW, very nice-looking pic up there! ;D ;D

Comment

Working...
        X