This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV Lighting - She Dont Like It!

Ever since I added the UV light to the tank, my little RTB won't come out not even for a second with the light on during the day. I started figuring since she was hiding out all day every day since I put it in that I'd try a couple days without it, sure enough out she came and does her thermoregulating scoot around the tank from time to time. b3.gif

So, from what I've read some people say they benefit from it, and some people say they dont. cwm24.gif Since she doesn't seem to like it, out it goes.

Now after a chunk of cash for the hood & the UV light, it won't be a waste of $$$ since we needed one for our White Line Gecko.

Re: UV Lighting - She Dont Like It!

You might want to try to put in a normal light... My boa's hide from uv bulb's too.. but they don't mind getting into the reg. light at all.. People have to remember that these snakes would be hard pressed to find a place on the jungle flore to get natural light... they would have to clime to the top of a canapy to get to light in there natural enviroment... That is why the plants on the forest floor have really big leaves and lot's of them... Well se ya
    Eric aka...REd

Comment

HI,

I wanted to say what a cute little picture you took,, that makes me want to go and buy another boa just lookin at it.
      doug

Comment

LOL.. Like the last thing you need is another boa Doug ! As it is.. you still need to lighten your load a bit by sending some of them to me anyways.. So I guess you will have room for more anyhow huh ? hahaha

IMO.. The lighting is NOT a needed thing for them. I have few cages for boas that have added lighting in them. Most of mine have the basic natural lighting that we all get exposed to is all. Have kept like this for 25+ years and not a problem due from such either healthwise to my boas..or other snakes for that reason.

Comment

I think I'll go ahead and try a regular light in the hood and see if she minds that or not. We tend to get plenty of light during spring/summer/part of fall in the spot that she's in, winter however is not as much but does get light. She's on a 'half wall' inbetween the liv rm and the kitchen and we have a large window in the liv rm and glass doorwall in the kitchen that I'm figuring will give enough natural light.

We've built a slot in our hood just for the light hood so if it turns out she doesn't like the regular light then its time again to modify it some more. I like the sliding slot for ventilation, we can adjust that for different times of the year and it helps greatly with stabilizing the humidity and heat. We now get an even 60% humidity in there.

I wouldn't mind having a few more snakes myself ;D It's odd though, how many of our family members (not living here) freak out when they find out we have a snake, they're all worried that it's going to bite or constrict someone to death. LOL Guess I'm the only female in our family who likes snakes, I remember finding them when I was a kid and bring them home and my mom would have a fit. hehehhehe cwm35.gif Guess there aren't any more 30something gals in our family who have a snake for a pet

Comment

Yeah, my grandma used to come in the house and visit(but mostly to be nosey). But when I got my Ball Python she stopped comming into my room, then I got a RTB and she quit comming in the house.

: Actually, now that I think about it, we don't get many relatives over since I got my snakes. Hmm....wounder why ;D

Comment

Cute little guy. IS it possible that you could post a pic of the whole cage? Thankyou.

Joshua

Comment

The entire setup is a work in progress but here a pic of the top that has the spot for the light that is slightly recessed.

That side independently flips up from the right side which holds the radiant heat panel:

And well the rest is still in progress    Some trim yet to be put on the bottom and some staining of the wood, but for the most part it's come together pretty good.

She loves climbing on her branches and I just took out her small plant (sticks to side of glass) and bought her a longer one that I'll wrap from one side to back of glass so she'll have more room to climb around.   ;D  Yep, she's gettin spoiled

THIS top was supposed to be temporary until we got the 40gal setup and new top built for that, ohh well. we're getting some practice in anyways

Comment

She seems so happy on that branch. Nice looking top for the tank.

Comment

Working...
                  X