X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socrates has arrived

:

My new boa, Socrates, arrived today from Clay's collection in texas. Everything is great and my girlfriend has immediately warmed up to the cute little guy. She was apprehensive at first but after all the preparation and anticipation, things worked out great. I could use a little feedback on feeding procedures as I will be feeding for my first time in a few days.

I will feed outside the tank since I have substrate not conducive to feeding. I assume you must feed on newspaper or something like that and then return the snake to the tank for the proper temperature for digestion. If this is correct please let me know and any tips would be greatly appreciated.

PICS WILL FOLLOW THIS POST VERY SOON.

P.S. Is it necessary to turn the temperature in the tank down at night. I have mixed info on this. THANKS ALL IN ADVANCE. look for pics

Re: Socrates has arrived

Congrat's on your new snake.
    Clays sure does have some nice ones. The only advice that I could give is after you feed you boa don't handle them for about 48 hours. If you handle them to soon they tend to cwm8.gif and we don,t want that. As for turning down the temp in the tank at night. I wouldn't recomend that. The temp in your house tends to drop at night any way, wich will couse you rtemp in you rcage to drop a little as well. Once you have you temps in your cage just were you want them it is best not to fiddle with them. Look foward to the pic. Good luck.

Joshua

Comment

Just got my newest member of my small but growing boa family this morning also. He is a beautiful little baby hogg.

Thanks Clay

-Josh

Comment

Don't turn down the temp's at night... When feeding put the snake in the sepret container before the prey iteam... let the snake sit in the bin after it has eaten for a lil' while(30min to an hour) New's paper works great.. then put the snake in the tank for 48 hours not disturbed and the job is done...
        I hope I could help..
        Eric aka...REd

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Any other comments are greatly appreciated. Red, that feeding info was exactly what I was looking for, Thanks.

Also, my boa has been sitting in the corner on the hot side for about 20 hours without much movement. Is this normal behavior when adjusting to a new environment, he is breathing and when I open the top to mist he moves slightly so he is attentive. Should I be worried that he is not real active? It's only been a day and a half since he arrived.

Thanks again guys s9.gif

-Adam

Comment

Your snake will spend mosts of his time in a corner or a hid box for a few years. They tend to like places that they can curl up and touch touch things such as a corner.

I just cought my new baby creeping out tonight.

Comment

it will take a little for your boa to get used to its surroundings. once the boa is comfortable then you will notice him frequently investigating the cage. also remember that boas are nocturnal and are active mostly at night.

Comment

Working...
              X