This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HELP!!!! NEW RED TAIL OWNER

I have two baby RED TAIL BOAS in a 4'L X 2'W X2'H enclosure made of melamine. The temp on the basking side is 92 with ambient temp of 85. I couldn't increase the humidity level with basic Tropic Air device from PetCo so I purchased a personal humidifier from Walgreens and now the humidity level is 74%. I have it on a timer to go on every other hour, but in between the level drops to 40%.

WHAT AM I DOING WRONG? PLEASE HELP I DON'T WANT TO LOSE THEM>

Re: HELP!!!! NEW RED TAIL OWNER

Hmm.. Is it melamine with plexi or glass ? I use it with glass in a few cages and NEVER have a humidity problem at all.. excluding that i have to reduce the hunidity at times though as it gets too be toomuch even. Where are you located even..high humidity area or what ?
    Your temps may be what's causing the problem even for the humidity. I keep high end at like 85-88 degrees and low at 78/80 basically. the basking goes to just about 89/90 also. Might want to take a look at reducing the temps a bit even. What are your full range of temps ? Like the high and low temps ? What are you using for heat supply ?
    BTW.. you really only need to keep the humidity at like 55-60% for the snake also.

Comment

Lori,

Thanks for your reply, I have plexi glass and using a 120w UVA/UVB bulb. Two things 1)I GOT MY HUMIDITY UNDER CONTROL!!!!! I actually pointed the mist halfway twords the vent and it is at a steady 62% and temps at basking side are 88-89 with ambient temp of 81-83 is this ok?

Comment

That humidity level is perfect.

Just make sure that the mist does not create a constant damp or wet substrate. Misting is fine, because the temperature range will dissapate the water fairly quickly. If you are using a constant mist, there is a chance that it can create a substrate that is wet. We just want to avoid constantly wet substrate, that is prone to cause scale/belly rot, as well as substrate that is quicker to mold/mildew.

The temps sound great as well.

My preference is to not use heat devices that are "bulb" products of any kind. I have preferred the Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE). Longer lasting, no light source, and when controlled with a rheostat device, a perfect source of heat.
        To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
        -Clay English
        Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Oh look another "I do it differently " type of thing for Clay and I lol. I actually prefer using the heating panels for caging that is made of melamine. I have found that with glass doors and this type of heating source.. We have NEVER had a problem maintaining the humidity levels we need / are reaching for at all.
          As for the use of bulbs for heating, about the only thing I use these for heatwise is my desert species like the lizards basically. Allthough we do have 1 cage I think that bulb is the heat source for snakes. The way the cage is constructed.. I see no other adequate way to heat that cage IMo is all and why we do such for that one.
          Of course the basking spot would be a bulb which emits heat but that is not the heat source for the whole cage to acquire the temp gradient either.
          Zeus.. great humidity level that is now. Also keep in mind what Clay has said about the misting of the cage. Ya don't want to be dealing with scale rot or the like at all from too much moisture ! What is your substrate your using in this cage ?
          In regards to temps I actually state four levels basically...
          HOT : floor level on hotter side
          COOL : floor level on cooler side
          AMBIENT : overall temp through out the cage above the floor level
          BASKING : in cages where it is set up for such...A point like a branch etc where the reptile can set itself at a higher temp to "bask". Usualy under a heat emitting bulb for mine.

I also will utilize heat emitting bulbs in a cage that for some reason a UTH will not bring the hot side to the desired temps at times also.
          Basically, sometimes in keeping/maintaining temps/humidity it will take some playing around with different sources for such is all. There are a TON of factors which have a "play" in what the temps/humidity will be in any given cage also.
          Long as we're at it atm.. What are the other aspects of your caging like ? How many hides, water bowls etc are in the cage ? I note that you have two snakes in the one cage also. You do realize that unless you are mating the snakes [ doubtfull with them being babies though lol] that there can be some "issues" to come about relative to such right , especially healthwise ?

Comment

I agree Lori,

I recommend Flexwatt or heat panels for melamine cages. This situation appeared to have the bulb type fixture already built in to the enclosure. In this case the CHE makes more sense than the bulb type.

If however we can consider replacing the heat source altogether, then by all means, the heat panel or flexwatt is the better solution.

See there... Lori and I do agree sometimes ;D ;D ;D
            Just don't go around and tell people that........
            To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
            -Clay English
            Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

LOL Clay ! :P

This situation appeared to have the bulb type fixture already built in to the enclosure. In this case the CHE makes more sense than the bulb type.
              That makes sense no doubt. I also have one of these type cages ...

Allthough we do have 1 cage I think that bulb is the heat source for snakes. The way the cage is constructed.. I see no other adequate way to heat that cage IMo is all and why we do such for that one.

AND Umm even though it was/is an expensive cage.. I hate the dang thing lol. I don't use any che's at all, so I don't reccomend them is all hehe. Maybe one day I'll give em a try though. I love heat panels and find them comparatively priced to the CHE's basically. ;D

LMAO....
              See there... Lori and I do agree sometimes
              Just don't go around and tell people that........

Comment

hi,
                This cage sounds alot like a cage I had purchased a couple years ago.

The only che thats on is the one on the left I also have a rather large cobra mat under the flooring pluged in to a power strip thats plugged into a single thermostat, I can maintain humidty and heat within 1 degree of my desired currently Iam using 82 degrees. The floor is warmer over the uth but cycles off with the thermostat. My snake usally sleeps over the uth afte a big meal and the hides behind the water dish under the unplugged che on the left side when chilling.
                This cage has been perfect for my Hog island she's thriving,
                PS I hate any type of light in my cage the bulbs can break and my snakes pretty much despise any light in their room (stress).
                Nice hog island only about 1 year old this month Thanks Clay the owner of the parents

Comment

Working...
                X