This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a couple ?'s about tank setup

I am getting my tank setup in preparation for one of Clay's beautful boas. I have a couple specific questions about tank setup.

1. Should the water bowl be on the hotter or cooler side of the tank?

2. I'm assuming the UTH goes on the outside of the tank, what do you put underneath that so it doesn't burn whatever it's resting on? (I didn't receive this item yet so this may be a stupid question, sorry, it's on backorder)

I think that's about it. I just want to make sure I have everything complete before I put my boa in there.

Thanks,
    grav

Re: a couple ?'s about tank setup

I put my water bowl in the middle of the cage with a hide on both ends.
    If you are going to us a uth then you will a reostat or some sort of device to controll the temp of the uth. Yes the uth goes under the cage.

Hope you enjoy one of Clays boas as much as I have they are truly awsome boas.

-Josh

Comment

Ah Hah! The age old question of which is better, the cold side, the hot side, or slap dab in the middle.

You know the saying "You cannot please every boa"

Actually the thinking here is that if we only have the water on the cool side, we are forcing the boa to stay in the cool end if he needs to soak, or visa versa.

I tend to place all my water dishes slap dab in the middle.

If you have the room then having a water dish on each end solves the problem all togther.

I personally use 1 water dish per enclosure.

The UTH goes on the outside bottom of the enclosure. If the enclosure does not have a recessed bottom, then you need to raise the enclosure at least a 1/4 inch of the underlying surface.

If the underlying surface cannot be damaged by heat, then you really do not have to elevate it at all. I think it is just better safe than sorry.
      To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
      -Clay English
      Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

If the underlying surface cannot be damaged by heat, then you really do not have to elevate it at all. I think it is just better safe than sorry.
        Umm.. How about if you look at it from this perspective possibly ?....

When the tank with a UTH is placed on a surface that is not one presenting a problem so as to be damaged by heat at all...AND you therefore do not raise/elevate it at all like the 1/4" suggested....SURE, ya may have no "issue" in regards to heat damage to the underlying support for the tank at all..BUT You will most likely have the "issue" regarding the fact that by NOT having the air-flow space underneath the tank with the UTh's heat...That the heat becomes entrapped and actually promotes a much higher degree of heat than would be adequate or even safe for the reptile right on the bottom of the tank flooring due to such possibly. Just a thought

Comment

EXACTLY!!!!! I can't think of everything so that's why Lori is so good for this forum...

Also, I should have mentioned this. I was really referring to melamine or wood style, or Jeff's plastic style cages. And as always, these heat sources should be connected to a device that allows you to adjust the heat levels.

Using glass (aquarium style) I think MUST be elevated, because those extreme temperatures could crack the glass.

Not to mention, as Lori has so accurately pointed out, harm the animals themselves.
          To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
          -Clay English
          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

HI,
             I would stil put a thermostat in the tank for the UTH and place the sensor for the thermostat at about 1 inch form the floor on the warm side of the tank. Them UTH can get really hot even the cobra mats hit about 110 or higher when on. This allow a slight cooling but it never really drops below 92 degree's at the floor.  Another problem with glass tanks is the warm side is great with a thermostat, but the cool side is to cool, try and hold that heat and humidty in the cage, I use a towel over the top on some of my 40 critters this helps alot.
             good luck  keep posting and send pics of that baby as it grows.
            this little guy came from Clay he's a cutie and a real  nice pet.Born Jan 21, 2002

first a just weined frozen thawed rat ,when feeding took it out of my hand in his feeder box.

One of my favorite snakes, thanks CLay
             doug

Comment

I think with a glass cage you are better to use a che on the hot side to keep the temp's up with a reo-stat and on the cool side a small uth with a reo-stat to keep a good temp gradent.. I think any other way the glass with get to hot... you basicly can't heat one with a uth with out a reo-stat.. with or with out the 1/4 inch.. I have three glass cages and they all can have the snakes lay right on the glass with no problem... I say just use a che... it will work better then any uth will with glass.. It is just to easy for a uth to over heat... all you have to do is just put a lil' aspen once and boom over heat... well that is my .02
              Eric aka...Red

Comment

Working...
              X