This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• help! help! help!

i just finally got ownwership of my brothers' neglected coloumbian redtail. i just noticed two lumps on her head.
    she is female shes has had one good liter of babies and
    just layed a couple of dead eggs from malnutrition. i have no idea what the lumps are. Should i go to a vet? Or do you guys know anything about this? oh yeah......she is about 5-6 years old and she is like 6 feet long.

please help?

thanx

Re: help! help! help!

i would definatley see a vet on that one... i have no clue what they could be from... maybe a mouse bite thats infected? or maybe parasites... i would take her to the vet....you should always bring a new boa that you have gotten to a vet... Clay will have a better answer then I will.... hope this helps...

randy

Comment

I cant help you with your prob, but I do know that boas dont lay eggs they have live birth.

-Josh

Comment

Ok first off..Boas give live birth FYI. What you may have taken note of though is what are generally refered to as slugs. There could be MANY reasons for such taking place also.

As for the lumps on her head. there are also a multitude of things it could be as well. None of which would fall under the norm either.
        My suggestion is that you take the snakes, YES BOTH of them to a qualified vet that knows snakes and what to do with them. Make sure to ask that they have treated snakes and not just that they will see them either. Umm.. Wait a sec.. You mentioned that the snake dropped "eggs" , called slugs actually though, bUT you only mention one snake also. How many do you have ..1 or 2 ? HAs this snake ever been exposed to another snake.. a male even for that matter ?
        Also.. Do you know what urates are at all ? AND could it possibly be these that you are refering to as "eggs" . [ Ya did call em eggs ya know, so I am looking at all the possibilities of what you are refering here to as in the "egg" thing.]
        You also would have to be more clear on your description in order for anyone to even try to relate what the bumps could possibly be even btw. Also Do you have any pics that you could show of this at all ?
        I also suggest that you take a look at the care sheets that are on site here and "define" the snake's husbandry accordingly also.
        Are you feeding the snake live or has it been fed live at all ?

Comment

first of all thanx for replying......

i know boas have live births i just refer to i guess what u call slugs....dead eggs or miscariges. When she had 12 babies about a year ago she laid some slugs with them. i just thought they were just miscariges. Shes been outside in a huge cage since then(parents ).

The male escaped about 4-5 months ago. This is'nt the first time either. he has gone and come back before i guess to mate.
          this is outside too.i think he's gone for sure now.

Like i said she layed like 2-3 slugs about a week ago. She eats live jumbo rats. I fed her tuesday and day later i checked to she how she was doing and i discovered 2 lumps on her head. there is no open sores. They kind of resemble i guess like tumors or cists.

the cage is very dirty ( thanks to my ******* brother....who finally gave me the snake)
          i'm going to clean it tomarrow.

She also is hanging out in the water bowl alot maybe she irratated or something. i think she has mites. one more thing when i got the snake from my brother the water bowl was empty and dry( maybe this has something to do with it).

this was a neglected snake.......it really sucks......but things will change now .

Thanks for all your help

Comment

Ok.. She only passed like 3 slugs the other day? That's weird..usually there are more. hmm

She eats live jumbo rats.
            You say that you are feeding live ? Please take the time to read this page here...http://www.koalaskritters.net/livefeeding.html

I fed her tuesday and day later i checked to she how she was doing and i discovered 2 lumps on her head. there is no open sores. They kind of resemble i guess like tumors or cists.
            Hmm.. I would most likely think that since these weren't there prior to you feeding the snake live, then they are most likely related to the live feeding somehow ??? Can you provide pics of what you are refering to at all possibly ? Umm.. Where EXACTLY are these two lumps located on the snake's head ?

the cage is very dirty ( thanks to I disagreehole brother....who finally gave me the snake)
            i'm going to clean it tomarrow.
            TODAY, should be when ya clean it, waiting on such is only going to advance/promote health issues for the snake IMO. Hopefully you have cleaned the cage by now also.

She also is hanging out in the water bowl alot maybe she irratated or something. i think she has mites
            I'd place my bet on mites on this one for sure. Anytime that the snake's cage is NOT kept clean.. the snake will get mites no doubt ! Place the snake in a soak for starters. While your doing that CLEAN the cage THOROUGHLY using bleach and water. Then let wipe it down with paper towels and let it air dry before putting anything back into it at all. Use newspapers as a substrate also for now. On a larger snake that is not a baby I use the mineral oil and soaking for mites treatments. here's what I do with the mineral oil also ..http://www.koalaskritters.net/caresheetsmites.html

I also have been using a chemical lately comparable to the Provent a Mite stuff called Sawyer's tick spray. I get it at the wal mart for like $4 usually. I use this on the larger snakes and just spray down the substrate and let it dry out then place the snake in the cage. It has worked np for larger boids that I have taken in as rescues that have mites. Do NOT spray this stuff directly on a snake !

This snake has some work to be done for it, but sounds like your on the way with that np now.

Comment

If your cage is outside what are the temp ranges? I am not sure that is to good for a snake(depending on where you live).

Comment

Sounds like you have your hands full with that snake. The only thing I would suggest is that you bring the tank inside you will have a easer time with the temp and the humidity. Good luck

Joshua s32.gif
                USMC Semper Fi

Comment

Working...
                X