This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Size

I am just woundering how big I can expect my Columbian BCI to get.  Right now my BCI named Rocky is 30" long and is 7 and 1/2 months old.   My guess is that after the 1st year Rocky will get to a length of 40", and grow to another 3-4' the second year. so my guess is Rocky will probably get to a length of 7' feet.  Does this sound about right?

Re: Size

i would say your guess is correct. they usually average around 7 feet, but females are usually larger.

Comment

With my last boa, she grew half as much the 2nd year as she did the first. The 3rd year, she grew about half again. i.e. She was about 42" year 1, 60" year 2, about 6' year 3.

Just my 2 cents

Comment

I have been feeding it one mouse a week, but Rocky has started to look around as if Rocky wasn't full, so I tried a runty sized small rat and Rocky took it and kept it down and didn't look around this time, so I am going to increase the food size from mice to weenling-small sized rats.

Comment

Good choice, feeding rats rather than mice=a healthier snake. -Juggalo

Comment

It all depends on how much you want to feed your boa. If you only feed your snake once a month it wont get over 4 feet.

Comment

It all depends on how much you want to feed your boa.  If you only feed your snake once a month it wont get over 4 feet.
              My feeding schedule is to feed Rocky on appropraite size Rat once every week for the first two years then slow down to One large-Jumbo rat every two weeks from the 3rd year on.

Comment

It all depends on how much you want to feed your boa.  If you only feed your snake once a month it wont get over 4 feet.
                You are not recommending this correct? As this would be very irresponsible, and major animal cruelty.

then slow down to One large-Jumbo rat every two weeks from the 3rd year on.
                Sounds like you've got him on a good schedule, Viper. Remember, depending on how big he eventully gets might have to feed even larger portions than 1 jumbo. -Juggalo

Comment

Jeff Ronne says in one of his movies that there is nothing wrong with feeding a boa once a month. A snakes metabolism is much more developed than ours. The Boaphile says that his kids snakes are 3yrs old and 3 feet long, and are just as healthy as a 8 footer.

Comment

Absolutely correct Josh.

Boa constrictor size is DIRECTLY related to the amount of food supplied during the early stages of growth. Small boas can be healthy boas.

I do not have a male that is over 5 feet. Every one of them is extremely healthy and very active. They eat approx every 2 weeks, just a smaller sized rat.

Boas that are fed smaller items will just remain smaller. They certainly can remain very healthy and active. Jeff's daughters boa will never be larger than 4 feet and is as healthy as any boa can be.

I guarantee you that a boa fed less in life will outlive ANY boa that is powerfed or overfed.
                    To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                    -Clay English
                    Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Powerfeeding is definitly very stupid, all it accomplishes is an early death for the snake. cwm23.gif And any one who does powerfeed should be shot.       

I do not believe in underfeeding to 'stunt' a Boas growth either.  If one wants a 3-4 foot snake then they should have gotten a subspecies of boa that gets smaller, like the Hogg Island.      

Comment

I disagree. I honestly believe a BCI needs to be fed more than once a month to be healthy. I believe feeding a juvi BCI every four weeks is massive underfeeding, and in no way benificial to the snake health. -Juggalo

Comment

I disagree. I honestly believe a BCI needs to be fed more than once a month to be healthy. I believe feeding a juvi BCI every four weeks is massive underfeeding, and in no way benificial to the snake health. -Juggalo
                          I totally agree with you JUGGALOFWB,
                          Here is an example of what I believe:

It is like a scale bar:
                          Underfeeding-----------Good Feeding------------Over Feeding

On one end of the scale you have over feeding, on the other you have underfeeding.  But the one you should do is in the middle which I'll label as Good Feeding.
                          To me Underfeeding is like trading in one extreme for the other.
                          One should feed a hatchling a pinkie mouse or rat every 5-7 days, a Juvi boa should be fed a proper sized rat every 7-10 days,
                          an adult boa should be fed 1-2 large-jumbo sized rats every 2 weeks. Adult boas should be fed every 10-14 days, which is what the book 'The Boa Constrictor Manual' says.

Comment

Here is a link

when you get to the site simply scroll down and read the section labeled: food

http://www.kingsnake.com/dfwherp/Cro...TM/Boa/boa.htm

Comment

You guys are missing the point or you are just ignoring the point I am making.

If you follow my care guide feeding schedules your boa will be on track to acheive the averge adult size of 7 to 8 feet. These feeding schedules are the recommended way to feed your boa constrictors.

However, if a baby boa is fed every 10 to 12 days through the first year, and once a month after that, you are saying the boa will be sickly or extremely agressive. You are wrong. Unless you have 4 or 5 year old boas in your posession that you raised personally on this schedule then you do not know what you are talking about. These boas can be just as healthy and maintain the same disposition as any of the full size adults.

Again, why not listen to someone that has ACTUALLY done this instead of hypotheticals. Jeff Ronne has been breeding boa constrictors for some 16 years. Jeff's daughters PET is a 4 foot adult boa. I am sure Jeff would let his young daughter have a sickly, agressive boa for a pet.....

My brother and I both have 4 1/2 foot adult boas. They are PERFECT.

Also there are many boa constrictors, including hogg island (BCI) that max out at 5 feet or so, even when fed a lot. So there are options for people that do not want the 8-10 foot powerfed boa constrictor.
                              To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                              -Clay English
                              Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Working...
                              X