X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• biggmom6
    replied
    Re: Size

ok as for stress i have no clue but i do happen to have a lot of other animals around not just the snakes and uromastyx i also have a cat, 3 dogs, frogs, fish, and the standard mice, and rats.  and yes they are around the tank at times should I try a tank with out glass sides?not very pretty, but if that might help i would be willing to give it a shot.  I have another question.  and it is kinda off this topic one of my mice had babies, why would they kill them?  I guess im kinda new to the mice thing am I supposed to separate the males and females after mating?  and another question which I know you'll probably go  s3.gif , but can I house 2 redtail together IF the enclosure is big?  or am i gonna have to build 4 separate enclosures?  and would being housed together stress a snake out? my little guy is in a tank with another snake they were litter mates so i didnt think there would be a problem, but could that be it?

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

It isn't parasites, because you have had it checked for that.
    It isn't the temps, because they seem ok.
    It isn't the humidity.

I can only think of 3 other reasons why the boa would not eat.

1:the boa is stressed
    2:the boa is shedding
    3:the boa has an illness of some sort

Outside of those three remaining reasons for not eating, I have no idea.  

Hope you find out why the boa isn't eating,
    Good Luck

Leave a comment:

• biggmom6
    replied

God do I lack giving info or what?!? lol. I'm bad about that some times I just assumed you guys would some how see in my house and realise i have the heat on one side and the water bowl on the other, lol sorry cwm32.gif. my temps drop to between 74 to 76 maybe 77 at night. as for humidity Alas I live in florida very humid as well as the water source in the tank. Jug I got him from the daytona show. Nice to see another I.C.P fan out there lol! let me know if there is any other info you want from me that could possibly be it as for cage size right now he is in a 55 gallon tank I am planning on building a tropical tank that has like a built in waterfall and plants and stuff but till I get my rear in gear and start on it the set-up should be adequate for his size. cwm38.gif if you want to talk more about it rather than this anyone feel free to e-mail me with suggestions. [email protected]

thanks,

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

If the Boa truely was eating before you got it then it has to be Parasites, an illness, or the Temps or something else to do with the set-up.

You have had it checked for parasites so it isn't that.
    So that leaves an illness or temps, or something else with the set-up.

You should have a warm end and a cool end.

warm end should be the 86-88
    cool end should be around 79-80
    Humidity should be 50-60%

Leave a comment:

• JUGGALOFWB
    replied

A good possability is that your temps are too high....... in a way. Snakes need to have a temperature gradient in the enclosure, meaning a hot end and a cool end. Snakes need to be able to thermoregulate being poykilothermic (cold blooded). They need to be able to cool of and warm up as they desire. 86 to 88 is a perfect temp for BCI on the warm end of the enclosure, but he should also have a cool end in the low 80's he can retreat to when he gets too warm. This also might be the reason he is soaking a lot, he might be trying to escape from the heat. Do you drop you temps at night? What show did you get him from? -Juggalo

Leave a comment:

• biggmom6
    replied

Ok my temps in the cage are between 86 and 88 he is small maybe 30 inches max and he has lost weight probably 6 ounces yes he has been checked for parasites and the vet didnt see any his last bm was when i had a fecal done on him for the vet about a month ago and this is one I got from the show as well they said they had eaten for them, but I am having a hard time believing that right now. I feed every one every monday and I try to feed like a medium/large mouse but for him I even try pinkies and he wont even try to tag them. he is very lethargic as for drinking water I cant tell that he is, but i have seen him soaking in the water bowl.

Leave a comment:

• LORI
    replied

At this point I am afraid that he is going to die if I dont do something soon.
    Ok.. I take it this one is NOT the 4 1/2'er boa ..correct??
    First off, you need to take a look at the husbandry for the snake. there could be something there that has caused the snake to go off feed even. Start with the temps btw. What are your temps at ?
    Also, is your snake losing any weight at all now ? If it is not losing weight, it is still fine. Sometimes snakes go off feeds for a bit and have no ill affect from doing such either like weight loss. They can go off feed for quite awhile even at that.
    Force feeding is not to be taken lightly at all. It should only be used as a last resort with the snake..ie it is losing weight m and I don't mean a couple ounces on a large snake either btw.
    As for the mali.. and force feeding.. Since Mali's receive their h2o intake from their vegetation which they eat..then yes I could actually see force feeding a MAli a lot sooner than I would consider doing such to a snake due to the dehydration factoring in place with the Mali.
    Give us some info like the temps, feed schedules and changes to such even, weight/age/size of the snake, last bm/urates/ is it drinking and all that good stuff. Maybe one of us can see something you are overlooking with the snake possibly. OH and also..has the snake been vet checked for any parasites as yet also by a vet ? Lastly, where did you purchase the snake from.. pet store, show , breeder etc ??
    Think that's enough for now...

Leave a comment:

• biggmom6
    replied

OK now to the next question on feeding!! My new male that I got has gone off feed although he only ate once after I got him and it has been a month to the day that he has not eaten. I am afraid that I will have to force feed him which I know I can do as I have done it with my uromastyx before AND I also know it can be very stressful. At this point I am afraid that he is going to die if I dont do something soon.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Ok now I have a question s7.gif I have been feeding my 4 1/2 foot female 1 large rat a week.  The people at the show told me I had to feed at least that if not more, but I thought 1 was PLENTY what is your opinion on this? s3.gif
    I still agree with my previous post.
    I have been using Clays feeding schedule in his care guide and it has worked perfectly fine.
    But I would definitly not listen to the people at the show.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I would not listen to the people at the show. 1appropriate sized rat every 7 days is fine for a Boa that is 4 and 1/2 feet long. But how often you feed a Boa depend more on age than length.

feeding schedule:
    from birth to 1 years of age feed every 5-7 days
    from 1-2years  of age feed every 7-10 days
    from 2+ years of age feed every 10-14 days

Leave a comment:

• biggmom6
    replied

Ok now I have a question s7.gif I have been feeding my 4 1/2 foot female 1 large rat a week. The people at the show told me I had to feed at least that if not more, but I thought 1 was PLENTY what is your opinion on this? s3.gif

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I 100% agree with LORI.

Leave a comment:

• s-king
    replied

In thinking about it a'm gonna have to agree with Lori a bit metabalism does play a great role in any animalwarm or cold blooded. Hence A lower cage heat would put your snake on the low end and you can try to feed them all day however Eat alot they will not.

Leave a comment:

• LORI
    replied

Every snake is an INDIVIDUAL and therefore should be treated as one, even in regards to feeding schedules etc. There is a MAJOR difference in purposely underfeeding a boa or any other snake for that matter, than there is in feeding a snake only once every month due to the snake only wanting to feed on such a schedule..IMO. I would NEVER reccomend doing such a thing in order to keep a snake small..ie "Just feed my burmese python a large rat once evry 6 weeks or so in order to keep it on the "small" side". IMO.. Doing such is pure negligence and does NOT supply the needed nutrients for the snake either. Of course that is my opinion. ;D

Now as for the snakes that will only eat on what most would consider an underfed schedule...
    I have a 7 year old boa that ONLY feeds on 1 large rat every 3 weeks time. She is healthy, appropriately sized and def not underweight at all. She is [ well before her clutch this year, she was] 45lbs, 8 1/2' length and a 15" girth. AND she got like that on a feeding schedule like I mentioned with the 1 large rat. Go figure...
    I also have a 6 year old boa that is only 4 1/2' in length , weighs like 4lbs, and only has like a 5" girth. this snake just eats and etas btw. It actually eats anywhere from 2-4 medium sized rats every 14 days time. The snake is healthy also. it's just small and will probably never grow any further in length or girth. [ It has been the same size for the last 4 years.]
    When people ask, like new ones to keeping, just what they should use as a feeding regime, we all just basically give them the average status of what should be fed is all basically. The individual snake and what they require should also be taken into account when it regards their feedings IMO.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Since Clay explained what he was talking about, I figured I should explain what I was talking about.

Clays underfeeding Schedule is perfectly healthy for a snake

But when I was talking about uderfeeding I wasn't talking about a schedule like Clays.  I was talking about the people who cut back to far and DO end up with a Far to Skinny, Sickly, and possibly aggressive snake.  

Last time I checked it wasn' good for an owner to be able to visually make out were the ribs and spine bones are. Which means some people DO cut back to far.

Clay and Jeff Ronne underfeed which is perfectly fine, but they DO NOT starve a boa, but unfortunately there are irresponsible, and neglegeant snake owners who cut back to much.

So like I said on my last post:if someone wants to underfeed, then they should consult a Vet, or a Herp on how much they can cut back.

Or like I would if I wanted to cut back on feeding, I would ask Clay how much I could cut back and still have a healthy boa. Clay knows how much you can cut back and how much you can't.  

Leave a comment:

Working...
X