X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fornever
    replied
    Re: Size

Here check this web page out it all show you how different knowledgeable owners have different feeding methods.
    http://www.boa-constrictors.com/com/com.html

According to them you guys are overfeeding. But your snakes turn out fine don't they, and so does there's. I think as long as they get there regular meals, even if you give them a little smaller prey item. Just to keep them a little smaller, is OK. You can't tell me every boa in the wild eats on regular feeding pattern, and they all get to 7-8 feet. They are very adaptable, because there body's are a very basic design.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

s3.gifWho me persistant...Nooo ;D

Just a simple missunderstanding of what you were saying Clay,
    I now Understand Clay what you were saying. Thanks for clearing things up. s9.gif

So a message to the average joe who wants to buy a snake:

1:Never Powerfeed any snake

2:Before purchasing a snake get yourself informed about the snakes you are planning on buying.  

3:If you are going to underfeed, make sure to ask a herp or a vet about how much you can cut back.  

4:There are a wide variaty of Boas, and you can get a species that is smaller, so do your research before buying.

5:There are alot of care guides out there, and some young boas are picky eaters who will only eat once every 10-14 days.  

And the most important of all suggestions and  rules.....
    6: ALWAYS purchase Boas from Clay ;D

Leave a comment:

• ClayEnglish
    replied

Dang, you guys are persistant if nothing else. I think everyone understands your stance on this subject. That is fine. This forum is about the ideal that we can "Agree to Disagree". The problem I have is that you assume too much.

I have never recommended someone feed their boas other than as stated in the care guide. I will not do so. But unless you know the facts about specific situation, then you cannot assume that the outcome is exactly the same for every possible hypothetical.

Boas that Jeff Ronne and I have personally raised to be small, STARTED OUT SMALL. These boas were true runts of the litter. My smallest boa (runt) was only 13 inches at birth as compared to the 22 inch average with the rest of the litter. This boa would not eat every 5 days, not even close. I fed him as he would eat, which averaged twice as far apart as regular feedings.

Natural selection made my small boa that way. He now eats 1 time a month and is a completely healthy boa, and a great pet.

Just do not tell me they cannot be healthy and docile when they are raised this way, because the facts dispute you.

I leave your posts here to state your views, but I will delete any that are argumentive against the facts.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I've been going by your feeding schedule in your care guide Clay.  Its the perfect feeding schedule.

If you underfeed you MUST be carefull and watch the snakes weight or it CAN get sick and start to have problems. If anyone doen't believe me just read Philippe de Vosjolis' section in the book titled 'The Boa Constrictor Manual.  I think it's on page 7.

Also there are many Boa Constrictors, including hogg island (BCI) that max out at 5 feet or so, even whenfed alot. So there are options for people who do not want the 8-10 foot powerfed boa constrictor.
    I agree,  someone can get a subspecies of Boa that rarely gets over 5 feet, like the Hogg Island Boa. Which is one of the points I am trying to make.  If they don't have the room or don't want to deal with the size then don't get a larger growing species, get a smaller Sub-species of Boa, or they can get a different snake species that gets smaller than 6 feet.

I think it is very clear everyone here is against Powerfeeding.

Boas can get 7+ feet without power feeding them.  For exmaple the book titled 'The Guide to Owning a Red Tailed Boa' has this one part were it goes into the sizes of each boa species, and when it talks about Boa Constrictor Constrictors it says"One record had a speciman at 18 feet/540cm!".  I believe that is on page 60.

Buyers need to be more knowledgeable and responsible. Which is another point I am trying to make.

Every one has their own opinion on feeding. So it seems to me to be a matter of opinion.

Leave a comment:

• ClayEnglish
    replied

You guys are missing the point or you are just ignoring the point I am making.

If you follow my care guide feeding schedules your boa will be on track to acheive the averge adult size of 7 to 8 feet. These feeding schedules are the recommended way to feed your boa constrictors.

However, if a baby boa is fed every 10 to 12 days through the first year, and once a month after that, you are saying the boa will be sickly or extremely agressive. You are wrong. Unless you have 4 or 5 year old boas in your posession that you raised personally on this schedule then you do not know what you are talking about. These boas can be just as healthy and maintain the same disposition as any of the full size adults.

Again, why not listen to someone that has ACTUALLY done this instead of hypotheticals. Jeff Ronne has been breeding boa constrictors for some 16 years. Jeff's daughters PET is a 4 foot adult boa. I am sure Jeff would let his young daughter have a sickly, agressive boa for a pet.....

My brother and I both have 4 1/2 foot adult boas. They are PERFECT.

Also there are many boa constrictors, including hogg island (BCI) that max out at 5 feet or so, even when fed a lot. So there are options for people that do not want the 8-10 foot powerfed boa constrictor.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Here is a link

when you get to the site simply scroll down and read the section labeled: food

http://www.kingsnake.com/dfwherp/Cro...TM/Boa/boa.htm

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

I disagree. I honestly believe a BCI needs to be fed more than once a month to be healthy. I believe feeding a juvi BCI every four weeks is massive underfeeding, and in no way benificial to the snake health. -Juggalo
    I totally agree with you JUGGALOFWB,
    Here is an example of what I believe:

It is like a scale bar:
    Underfeeding-----------Good Feeding------------Over Feeding

On one end of the scale you have over feeding, on the other you have underfeeding.  But the one you should do is in the middle which I'll label as Good Feeding.
    To me Underfeeding is like trading in one extreme for the other.
    One should feed a hatchling a pinkie mouse or rat every 5-7 days, a Juvi boa should be fed a proper sized rat every 7-10 days,
    an adult boa should be fed 1-2 large-jumbo sized rats every 2 weeks. Adult boas should be fed every 10-14 days, which is what the book 'The Boa Constrictor Manual' says.

Leave a comment:

• JUGGALOFWB
    replied

I disagree. I honestly believe a BCI needs to be fed more than once a month to be healthy. I believe feeding a juvi BCI every four weeks is massive underfeeding, and in no way benificial to the snake health. -Juggalo

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

Powerfeeding is definitly very stupid, all it accomplishes is an early death for the snake. cwm23.gif And any one who does powerfeed should be shot.       

I do not believe in underfeeding to 'stunt' a Boas growth either.  If one wants a 3-4 foot snake then they should have gotten a subspecies of boa that gets smaller, like the Hogg Island.      

Leave a comment:

• ClayEnglish
    replied

Absolutely correct Josh.

Boa constrictor size is DIRECTLY related to the amount of food supplied during the early stages of growth. Small boas can be healthy boas.

I do not have a male that is over 5 feet. Every one of them is extremely healthy and very active. They eat approx every 2 weeks, just a smaller sized rat.

Boas that are fed smaller items will just remain smaller. They certainly can remain very healthy and active. Jeff's daughters boa will never be larger than 4 feet and is as healthy as any boa can be.

I guarantee you that a boa fed less in life will outlive ANY boa that is powerfed or overfed.

Leave a comment:

• Josh
    replied

Jeff Ronne says in one of his movies that there is nothing wrong with feeding a boa once a month. A snakes metabolism is much more developed than ours. The Boaphile says that his kids snakes are 3yrs old and 3 feet long, and are just as healthy as a 8 footer.

Leave a comment:

• JUGGALOFWB
    replied

It all depends on how much you want to feed your boa.  If you only feed your snake once a month it wont get over 4 feet.
    You are not recommending this correct? As this would be very irresponsible, and major animal cruelty.

then slow down to One large-Jumbo rat every two weeks from the 3rd year on.
    Sounds like you've got him on a good schedule, Viper. Remember, depending on how big he eventully gets might have to feed even larger portions than 1 jumbo. -Juggalo

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

It all depends on how much you want to feed your boa.  If you only feed your snake once a month it wont get over 4 feet.
    My feeding schedule is to feed Rocky on appropraite size Rat once every week for the first two years then slow down to One large-Jumbo rat every two weeks from the 3rd year on.

Leave a comment:

• Josh
    replied

It all depends on how much you want to feed your boa. If you only feed your snake once a month it wont get over 4 feet.

Leave a comment:

• JUGGALOFWB
    replied

Good choice, feeding rats rather than mice=a healthier snake. -Juggalo

Leave a comment:

Working...
X