X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red
    replied
    Re: Size

wright lori a IM, and ask her... I remember her telling me about this stuff that you can put on like lotion and it will keep the snake from liking biting you at least.. It tastes real bad... I have no idea what it is called or where to get it.. and if lori is not the one that told me I don't know who did... so let's just hope it is lori... Well have a nice day
    Eric aka....Red

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

You are going to laugh when I tell you this.  I put him in the tank just for a few minutes so I could clean the big tank and thought what the heck I put a rat pup in there and walked away from the tank for maybe 10 seconds and guess what I heard that unmistakeable squeak.  yes yes he ate it. dont know what it was, because I have tried both before and he wouldnt give it a second glance.  oh well all that worrying for nothing,  but as I say better to be worried over nothing than have a dead animal and not care. ;D
    Great he finally ate.

Hopefully he keeps eating.

Leave a comment:

• draco842
    replied

I just wanted to say that Clay is not underfeeding his Boa. He sayed it was small to begin with and he feed it when it was hungary.

Leave a comment:

• biggmom6
    replied

This is the bigger one that I got the 4 and 1/2 feet, and yes she bites. Not bad bites, it feels kinda like static shock you know when some one drags their feet on a carpet then touches you? But it is enough to draw blood. Even after this I still hold her daily and most days I get a small nip i'm not to worried about it I was just wondering if there was something I ould try so that she wouldn't the reason I ask is because my daughter absolutely LOVES these snakes and I would like for her to be able to at least pet my big girl but as I see it now I won't let her near the snake and it upsets her. although I do let her pet and even hold stinky but only in my lap so that I still have control, stinky being the calmest of them all and also fairly small compared to my big girl. But it still hurts when she can't hold the bigger one because I just simply don't trust the snake to not bite yet. so any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• Red
    replied

From what jeff say's girls are the nicer one's... If there is a nicer boa... but the best thing you can do is hold that mean lil' bugger alot and make sure she has all the temp. humidity, food, and hidi's that she could want... now is this a real big snake or what...?? If so you can buy these gloves I don't know what they are used for other then handling mean animals but they go all the way past the elbow and if you are woried about your face getting struck you can put a paint ball mast on... The pant ball mask will leave all your site in tact.. I have a friend that did this with a burm and it worked great... he had all the confedence that he needed.. which is all that is needed for the most part... Get a snake hook for getting her out of the cage and then you should be safe as you can be... they make sheild for feeding/getting you snake out of the cage... I don't think this type of thing is real great though... If I was you I would hold that snake alot and just jump in with both feet...
    Eric aka...Red

Leave a comment:

• biggmom6
    replied

???Well i'm not sure what i'm going to do now.  The tank I put him in so I could clean out the other tank was the rubbermaid container I told you about grrrrrrr s3.gif and thats where I have tried to feed him before,  that's where I feed everyone!  I still think I might put him in another tank alone, just so I can safely say he isn't getting stressed from being with other snakes.  Well now to the next thing how to handle an aggressive snake???  my big girl is getting slightly aggressive and I have no idea how to handle this.  lol aren't I just full of questions?

Leave a comment:

• LORI
    replied

LMAO!! Gotta love it when they go and do that for ya hehe. Ok.. Without going back over all the posting here then...
    How were you feeding him again..Was it in the cage or a tote or what ?
    It could have been that he just wasn't hungry is all..or it could have been being the the huge cage.. I dunno.. But if he goes off feed like this again on ya. Just try that again is all.
    So ya gonna keep him in the big cage or in the 30 for a bit or what now ?

Leave a comment:

• biggmom6
    replied

You are going to laugh when I tell you this. I put him in the tank just for a few minutes so I could clean the big tank and thought what the heck I put a rat pup in there and walked away from the tank for maybe 10 seconds and guess what I heard that unmistakeable squeak. yes yes he ate it. dont know what it was, because I have tried both before and he wouldnt give it a second glance. oh well all that worrying for nothing, but as I say better to be worried over nothing than have a dead animal and not care. ;D

Leave a comment:

• LORI
    replied

That's fine for a temporary housing for him np. It may even help some if security is his issue even. For instance.. when they hide..they like to have their bodies "just fit" into the hide so that they touch the sides of the hide. That makes them feel secure
    Do this also.. Start looking around [ pet store..UGH] for something called "JUMP START". It comes in a box and is in a tube like a toothpaste tube. It's a gel that some of us use for non feeders. It has nutrients and also has an appetite stimulant in it as well. I got that tip from TC in fact and it has worked wonders with some various reptiles i have gotten in that were non-feeders here. It costs like $8-9 btw. Just locate it it in case it will be needed for now is all. If it gets to having to try that.. I'll go over it with you on giving it to the snake np.
    Let's just try the change of housing for now though. Be careful on the temps though with this size cage. reduce the wattage on any bulbs you use even due to the perimeter of the cage being smaller than what was being used prior.

Leave a comment:

• biggmom6
    replied

ok well here is my dilema (sp?) what size tank should i put him in? i do have something that would be TEMPORARY only it is approxamately the size of a 29 tall its a rubbermaid container but as I said it would only be temporary till I could get him eating then by that time I will have something built for him. I don't want to keep moving him around to much though because I dont want to get him upset again. And if I havent said this before YOU GUY'S ARE GREAT! I dont think I would have any snakes left if I didnt have your advice.

Leave a comment:

• LORI
    replied

Nooo, Don't go to force feeds yet. There still some other things that can be tried still. Go ahead and move him into his own enclosure first though and give him a couple days to settle in. Then try another feeding. If at that time he doesn't feed I still have a couple things you can try on him to get him to feed yet.

Leave a comment:

• biggmom6
    replied

Yeah I have tried rat pups and mice all sizes wont give them the time of day I am going to try putting him in a new enclosure by himself and see how he does. other than that I have no clue what else to do other than force feed and I really dont want to have to do that.

Leave a comment:

• Red
    replied

Try rats... I know my redtails will not touch a mouse... They stink.. Other then that... you should monitor your humidity it could be too high... with all those other reps in the room may-be the humidity is to high...(somthing I never will run in to in oregon) But I would try rats... also did you give the snake time to acclamate(don't know how to spell this) If not this may be the reason... You will have to just leave the snake alone for awile... then try to feed...
    Eric aka...Red

Leave a comment:

• biggmom6
    replied

my cage temps are 86-88 on the hot end and 80ish on the cool end and yes they are in a 55 gallonbut i have 3 or 4 hides in there for them. hope that helps a little lori. by the way can anyone tell me how to handle an aggressive snake?

Leave a comment:

• LORI
    replied

OK..I may be missing it BUT.. What is the ..
    cool end temp ?
    hot end temp ?
    in the cage again ...

YES the snake could be stressing out being in with another snake possibly. If it was in with the other snake previously to you getting it.. I would doubt such though myself. Also.. I see that you are using a 55 gallon right ? If so, then that is a HUGE cages for the lil guy/gal actually.. AND that I could see as a possible stress factor maybe for the snake even. Make sure that there are MULTITUDES of hides in there for the snakes in such case [ if that is the case].
    Don't ya just wish sometimes that they could just tell ya what it is exactly that is bothering them ? hehe

OH..YES after the male breeds the female.. remove/separate them from each other is correct [mice that is]. The males will eat the babies [such brutes huh? LOL] and sometimes the females will also eat the babies as well even..UGH. Even if after ya sepratate the female from the male and she births and then she eats the babies..Time to wak her and make her dinner for someone and then get a new female hehe

Leave a comment:

Working...
X