This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is tap water harmful for our boas?

I know tap water has chlorine and other things. Will this harm our boas in the long term?

Re: Is tap water harmful for our boas?

Well it will not help it out any.... I think that in the long run it can harm the snake.. I use spring water.. I get it from a local spring.. But in the winter I get it from the store.. You can find some perty cheap spring water... I thing the stuff I get is $.51 a galon.. I would switch for you self to... The long term efects of drinking tap water has been documented... Most kidny faler case's have somthing to do with this... To awnser your "?" Yes and stop doing so.. But that is just my opion..
    Eric aka...Red

Comment

WOW...i didn't kno that...but here in

jersey(new jersey), store bought water is too expensive, i mean my dad buys um, but he wouldn't let me use it for my animals,(well maybe the birds), .....oh well,
      thanx for the info,
      FC

Comment

i have heard people say that spring water is much healthier for our snakes and that some people have noticed faster growth and a healthier snake. i have used tap water for years and have never had any problems. i would say that spring water may be better for our snakes but it is not a must.

Comment

Tap water I think is fine, but you can buy Reptisafe at a pet store wich Removes cloramines, toxic stuff and a whole lot other. Its cheap also. Just a few drops in the water bowl.

Comment

Colrine in water is bad for your snake... You can keep you snake's in these condition's but Like I said before it is just that it has been proven to harm humans... All I would say is make sure that the tap water in your area is not as bad as ours... The water here leaves your mouth dry it is so bad... Like I said spring water is cheep... $.50 a galon is not that much... I use one evey three days in my four snakes cages... A lil' more when one is shedding... That is only like 6 a month and that is only $3 I say if you can not afford that then there is a problem, what if you snake need's to see a vet... Where are you going to come up with that kind of money...
            Well I will quit rambling...
            Eric aka...Red
            P.s. I have found out that, that repi safe stuff for water makes it cost about the same as spring water.... Just a lil' less..
            P.s.s. There is more expensive stuff(water) up front in most stores you can find cheeper stuff in the back of most super market's...

Comment

I seriously doubt that Tap water will harm the snakes.  But if you would prefer cleaner water you could always get one of those purifier filters that you attach to your kithen faucet.  I see them advertised on TV alot. They range from anywere from $10-$40.  You can get them at a Lowes Hardware store.  Here is Lowes website:

www.lowes.com

If you don't have a Lowes then just look around the hardware stores you do have and see what they have.  

Comment

Red is right, I use the Reptisafe cause it is so easy, thats the only reason.

Comment

Hi,
                   I don't drink tap water, My wife and I bought 7 - 5 gal plastic jugs and visit the water hut once a week and buy 35 gal of dist H20 at 35 cents a gal, we have been thriving... The snakes like it so do most of the plants in our home we havent lost a plant in years. ( most plants die from salt poisioning from tap water salts building up in the soil) you can get around this if you put your plants out side in the rain the dist rain water will leach the soil of the salt build  up.  we do shower and flush our toilets with it ... naw don't drink tap water neither ,nor do the snakes

want a scary thought most cities only test for bacteria and chlorine or cholamine levels in tap water, they don't test for insectacides or heavy metal from run off. herbacides run of usally make it to city water lakes  so don't use it around  your frogs it makes the boys  frogs stop croaking.not good for that frog repro-duction.
                        We  stoped buying soda and only drink dist water we even have a cooler for chilling some so we are really saving money in the long run and every 30 gals i buy  get five free.... Ps our Mr coffee is goin strong after several year's due to the dist water, tap water corrodes the heat elements.the coffee taste  better too :.Someday they are gonna figure out all the effects of chlorine /cholamine and flouride in tap water not to mention the possible run off issues.

see ya   doug

Comment

As far as me I aint no health fanatic, never heard of a case of drinking tap water killing someone, but until I do, I am gona keep drinking right out my sink. BONNGGGGGGGG

Comment

Well, i dont know about anywhere else but i know they don't use chlorine to purify water here, they use ozone. In the time it takes for the water to get thru the pipes and into your home, the last traces of ozone are gone & the water's still clean. I use tapwater for my boa and drink it myself, along with my family and we've never had a water quality problem. I think it'd depend on where you are and how they deal with water management. Just my opinion.

Comment

Russet is right, if you live in Mexico, whoa never drink that water, I am not even sure if you can call it water. But in California ( Best State In Tha U.S ) we got good clean tap compared to other states.

Mmmmmm, taste that good Ol' Tap Water, Common Red, give it a try, Mmmmm, everyone does it.

Comment

Another thing-
                          the chlorine you pick up at a pool supply store is poisonous because it is concentrated and not meant to be ingested. i dont know if there are any long term effects of drinking chlorine treated water & i know it can't be the best thing to be drinking, but they have to have a really small percentage of chlorine in there. as for causing cancer...did you know that the stuff they use in pepsi in place of sugar (aspartame/aka nutrisweet) has been shown to cause some cancer in rats, as well as an ingrediant in bubble gum? There's loads of stuff out there that'll kill you...some of them are just more dangerous than others.

Comment

Dam* Russet, you know your stuff!!!!

Comment

LOL i try

Comment

Working...
                              X