salmon boa questions from newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] salmon boa questions from newbie

Hi, I am still researching before purchasing my first redtail boa. I have numerous ball pythons which I am very familiar with them.

There is a guy that has 2 "salmon boa" 2010 hatchings for $100 including enclosure. I think that is the price for both of them together, but if not I assume that $100 is still a good price for one. I don't know the sex of them. My question is, is a salmon boa a different kind of boa than a redtail or is it a morph of a redtail? I know it is lighter with smaller saddles correct? By my understanding it is a BCI but a different color. Do they grow to be the same size range as columbian redtail boas? Are they concidered docile like the redtail. Is it actually a redtail but a different color like albino etc? Sorry for the what must seem silly questions, I am very familiar with ball python morphs but am still figuring out how the boas work.
    Thanks!
    -April

Re: salmon boa questions from newbie

A Salmon is a morph of a BCI or "red tailed boa". Salmon is a trade name for a mutation called hypomelanistic. The term 'hypomelanistic' generally refers to a reduction in the amount of dark pigmentation in an animal. This is perceived as being an overall brightening which produces a more brilliantly colored animal. Generally speaking in all other ways they are indistinguishable from a normal BCI.

This picture (from Gus Rentfro's website - Welcome Rio Bravo Reptiles) is a classic Colombian boa:

This is a picture of a true "Salmon Boa" from Rich Ihle at www.salmonboa.com.

Comment

Hi April
      Welcome to RTB.

To your question.
      Salmon or hypo is a morph

Here are the two I courrently have.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	038-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	921432

Click image for larger version

Name:	089.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	921433

Comment

Thank you guys! That was exactly the info I needed. The salmons are lovely. I am looking for a redtail as a pet, while my balls pythons are for breeding (still pets too). So I wanted to make sure I got the right kind since I'd like to always keep this one. Plus since they get so much bigger than the balls I'd like to make sure to pick out the right kind. If I end up getting them I will post photos. I'll get back ahold of the guy.

Comment

Holy Salmons batman! Josh, that salmon in your pic is soooo smooth. Most of the salmons I see nowadays have some ghost mixed in to give them a bit more dark spots here and there. But that one is delish!

Comment

First off, welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy your stay here.

One thing that irks me is that people freely interchange the term Salmon with Hypo. Salmon's are a specific line of Hypo Produced by Rich Ihle after several selective breeding trials and are generally much cleaner than the other hypos.

I don't know why people do this (quick flip or to prey on uneducated buyers), but IMO, if you can't trace the lineage back to Rich or another reputable breeder, I would consider them hypos. Just my .02

Keep us updated on how things go.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

Working...
            X