X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHE's and humidity...need imput

Hey all-
    I just recently got my 1st BCI,( ;D ;D ;D) and decided to read through the assorted forum topics to see if i was doing anything glaringly wrong. Well....after reading a few of the threads in 'health issues', i was somewhat paranoid about the humidity and heat in my boa's cage. He has a timed 62 watt neodynium bulb set to go off at night, and a heat pad on the warm side. The temperature in the branches of the cage in the day is about 88šf, near the floor 84š, and in the cool part of the cage 'bout 79š. Is this temperature acceptable? I think I'd like to change to CHE's cuz they seem a whole bunch easier...could I pick one up at my local petco or are they harder to find?Also..what kind of wattage to you reccomend? I REALLY don't want to bake him, but I dont want him to freeze. (a very narrow line i'm sure... ) The humidity is sort of lower than I'd like..I put the water bowl 1/2 on the warm side, but not sure if that's gonna do the trick, and I've been misting. the Anyways, I'd appreciate any replies to dispell my (hopefully) unwarrented paranoia. On the brighter side-better paranoid than having a sick boa!

Re: CHE's and humidity...need imput

HEy there Russet

I got CHE's when I got my 1st babies from CLay last yr. . . You can get them at PetCo .. . That's where I got mine. . I have no idea what they are now :O but there is a thread about it . . :}

I have found them to be reliable & heat a big area easily. . . as far as the temps go for them, I'll let Clay or one of the others get that, but if I can recall correvtly, it should be "90-ish" in their hot side & "80-ish" in the cooler side & they can pick where they wanna be . . . What kind of cage does "he" have?

Water under the heat will help the humidity:}
    Tara

Comment

Thanks, yeah I'm hoping the water bowl will help. He's got a 50 gallon glass tank w/locking screen tops. I covered one side of the screen with the hope it would keep some of the humidity in.

Comment

I to had a heat problem, my temps on the warm end were about like yours except a degree or two lower.  I am going to change from Heat lamp bulbs to a Ceramic Heat Emitter.  CHEs last alot longer, and as far as a day and night cycle you could use one of those florescent light fictures.  As far as humiditity goes I have my humidity level between 30% and 40% and my boa sheds just fine.  But you can always mist your boa down with a spray bottle every so often if you need to.

Comment

CHE's are the best heating device you can use in the socket type fixtures. The are a steady, reliable, and long lasting source of heat. They do need to be regulated so get a rheostat controller type device to use with it.

Also boas do not NEED any light source at all. If you are using a light to help "show off" your beautiful boa, then that is fine. But that is for you, not the boa. The natural light that comes in the windows is the only light source used for my boas. I have florescent ceiling lights in the snake shack, but no lights at all in any cages.

It is important that the boas have a day night cycle, so make sure that any light source you use is turned off at night.
          To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
          -Clay English
          Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Yup that will help too, I used a tank for awhile, which I am currently too. . . I covered one part w/a magazine (LOL) & then the CHE was on the othe side. . Good luck! (Of course your tank is a lot bigger so I guess a magazine wouldn't cover it
            Tara

Comment

Hey Clay, how much do those rhetrostat controller devices cost? and how many watts should the CHE have?

Comment

Basic Rheostat devices cost about 15 bucks.  here is an example you can find at most pet stores.

This one is a ZooMed ReptiTemp Rheostat

The wattage of the CHE depends on the size of the enclosure.

Small enclosures     = 60 watt
                Medium enclosures = 100 watt
                Large enclosures     = 120 watt

If the CHE is temp controlled you can always purchase a slightly larger wattage and control it that way.

Be aware that the cheaper rheostat devices, do tend to wear out quicker so you must keep a daily check of temperatures to stay on top of things.
                To gain knowledge is good, but to share knowledge is wise

-Best Regards
                -Clay English
                Founder Redtailboas.com 1998-2013

Comment

Thank you everyone who replied, i think i'm gonna go get a CHE and extras today so i won't haveta worry about it. Thanks again,
                  Russet

Comment

Working...
                  X