X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ranger
    Snake Maniac
    • Jul 2005

[Substrate] Allergies, Asthma, and Aspen

OK, my boas love aspen, but it's killing me.

I am severely asthmatic and allergic to mold, mildew etc., and when aspen gets wet, it almost immediately puts off a scent that triggers my asthma. Essentially, cage cleaning = asthma attack.

I'm not into newspaper, and I may consider trying the corrugated craft paper stuff, but I really believe in the benefits of something that more closely simulates natural leaf litter and understory.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
  • ShadowAceD
    Snake Maniac
    • May 2010

Re: Allergies, Asthma, and Aspen

Have you tried cypress mulch?

Comment

• Noelle7206
      Snake Master
      • Mar 2011

I use lots of Carefresh mixed with shredded clean paper (for more fluff, Carefresh is a bit clumpy) but keep in mind that I keep colubrids & desert boids...Carefresh is said to be hygroscopic...
      meaning it's too drying for boids that want humidity.

I posted on another thread* here recently about using nylon (backless) indoor/outdoor carpeting...it might be just the ticket for you? If you have LOTS of snakes though, you may not enjoy

handwashing this stuff...but it truly lasts "forever" and can be disinfected with bleach (not too strong- rinse thoroughly so no smell remains). It comes in nice natural colors (found in major

hardware/home improvement stores), isn't expensive (esp. since it's re-usable!), gives great traction, cuts with scissors, and allows UTH heat to rise through it easily. My BCI did well on it

for some 12 years. (she was a rescue & I never planned to have such a large snake att, so she now lives with friends nearby...she is 14 yars, healthy & still growing, lol)

(*Re: Newspaper as substrate)

Comment

• Zaphod42
        Snake Maniac
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ShadowAceD
        I use cypress mulch in some of my cages and it works really well. The downside is that it's a lot more expensive than shavings. I use it for my Brazilian Rainbow Boa because it handles high humidity really well. I also use in a few other cages and because I like the way it looks but I'd never consider using in all my cages because of the cost : (

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
        www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

• zamora
          RTB Staff / Global Moderator
          • Mar 2008

Have you tried the aspen chips? I was forced to buy a bale of them and while I didn't like them, (I'm a shredded aspen addict) they were considerably cleaner dust wise than the shredded. Although if they get wet, I suppose the scent they give off would be the same. Guess that didn't help much.

Paper towels? Maybe too expensive though. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
          http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

• bcasilio
            Snake Maniac
            • Aug 2012

Originally posted by zamora
            Paper towels? Maybe too expensive though. Good luck and let us know what you decide on.
            I have sever Asthma and Allergies as well (allergy induced asthma as well! yippy!) I use Paper Towels unless the snake is breeding in that case I use Aspen for the female to make her little nest in and be comfy. I actually found that the snakes make their own hides from the paper towel. I use about 3-4 layers of paper towel and they just go under the layer....its pretty funny when they are under the layers of paper towel AND under their hide haha

Yeah, it does get expensive but.... I figure I'd rather pay for paper towel than my inhaler (which there is no Generic brand, that of which I assume you already know)...

That's just my $0.02

Comment

• Noelle7206
              Snake Master
              • Mar 2011

I use lots of paper towels too...to line my cages under the Carefresh/paper shreds mixture....when it's time to clean the cage, it all rolls up neatly most of the time. *You can also tear off the towels into a little stack, and
              shred them manually into strips, then "toss" like a salad to make 'fake' leaf litter that snakes can hide in. 'Course if it gets wet all bets are off, lol. (*I've mostly done that for hatchlings/neonates...it's a little awkward for
              a bigger snake)

Comment

• Expensive Hobby
                Snake Lover
                • Sep 2013

Have you tried pine? Molds less easily than aspen, MUCH cheaper than both aspen and cypress mulch, not nearly as dusty as aspen, and may not trigger your allergies like aspen.

And before any self proclaimed scientist says it's not safe, toxic, blah blah blah, it is safe and has been used for DECADES without issue by thousands of herpetologists world wide.

I even have scientific journal articles PROVING scientifically that it is safe and will NOT cause health issues any more than any other bedding will.

Could be a great option for someone in your situation.

Like Us On Facebook
                Adrenaline Pumping Reptiles

Comment

• JayBoa1372
                  Snake Lover
                  • Jul 2013

Not doubting you in one bit, but can you post those articles, I would enjoy reading them!!! Thanks
                  [MENTION=18976]Expensive Hobby[/MENTION]

Comment

• Tekpc007
                    Snake Lover
                    • Jun 2012

I purchase this from Uline (see http://www.deviantconstrictors.com/links/products.html and look under "substrates" for a link) and absolutely love it. It's ...

Corrugated Wrap used as cage liner for boa

Comment

• dumboa
                      ColdBlooded!
                      • Apr 2009

Originally posted by ShadowAceD
                      Cypress Mulch is awesome. I dont use it ONLY because the cost around my area. I cannot find it cheap. BUT I know many people find it very cheap in their areas.

I love it because humidity is perfect and hardly any, IF any at all, dust.

Comment

• Expensive Hobby
                        Snake Lover
                        • Sep 2013

Originally posted by JayBoa1372
                        Not doubting you in one bit, but can you post those articles, I would enjoy reading them!!! Thanks
                        [MENTION=18976]Expensive Hobby[/MENTION]
                        Can't find the original source but here is a copy...

Like Us On Facebook
                        Adrenaline Pumping Reptiles

Comment

Working...