want another one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Behavior] want another one

Whenever i go get him more rats or substrate he stares at the other snakes. I kinda want to get him a friend. He stares at all of them and its so cute. How should I go about it? I'd rather have a baby one but I know that wouldnt be good in the same tank or should I casually bring them around each other ? Should they be the same breed? Same or opposite sex? Close to the same age? Thats the only time he sees other snakes so idk how hed react.

Re: want another one

Never! house boas together. unless your breeding. They don't like tank mates.

Comment

Thanks. Im not trying to breed at all.

Comment

Originally posted by britt3591 View Post
        Whenever i go get him more rats or substrate he stares at the other snakes. I kinda want to get him a friend. He stares at all of them and its so cute. How should I go about it? I'd rather have a baby one but I know that wouldnt be good in the same tank or should I casually bring them around each other ? Should they be the same breed? Same or opposite sex? Close to the same age? Thats the only time he sees other snakes so idk how hed react.
        I'm confused . You take your Boa with you when to go to the reptile store to buy his rats ??

Comment

Yes. Bc when I switched him to rats I didnt know what size to get him. And he just relaxes bc im not good with measurements and I wanna be able to feed him properly

Comment

Yes. Bc when I switched him to rats I didnt know what size to get him. And he just relaxes bc im not good with measurements and I wanna be able to feed him properly
            Ah . Interesting ...

Comment

He isnt bothered by much. Hes never been agressive or has bitten anybody. He just looks at everything. He seems interested. I kinda go to them for help bc its a local place and they know way more about reptiles than anybody else in the area.

Comment

As already mentioned, your snake is better kept alone, by far! And also, better left at home when you go to the reptile store, unfortunately: you run the risk of your snake picking up either mites or other reptiles diseases
                (some of which are serious & possibly fatal) from such places, no matter how healthy their animals appear & no matter how well-meaning their staff & other customers may seem. Germs can transfer through the air & on
                unsanitized hands as well as on surfaces & objects. And you REALLY don't want to have to treat for mites either.

Your snake may seem curious...but that doesn't mean he/she needs or wants a room-mate. Snakes live solo in the wild...and they have WAY more space. No matter how big your cage is, it's not enough for them to be
                housed together and if you force them to co-habit, health issues may arise from stress, un-intended breeding & aggression. So if YOU want another snake, please get another cage set up.

Comment

I plan on another set up and I have already had to clean him bc of mites and I dont let him touch anything and I make sure I dont either. Just difficult when I dont really know anybody who has ever raised any either

Comment

.... Just difficult when I dont really know anybody who has ever raised any either
                    First time for everything...that's what we're here for. While some petstores (or individual staff members) may be well-meaning & knowledgable, you should not assume that and ALWAYS do your own research too. Petstores
                    are in the business of selling you things...and that includes replacement pets if something goes wrong with the first ones. So their advice may be quite biased or just plain wrong. For the most part, members of forums
                    like this have no interest in selling you anything...just trying to share what we've learned over the years (sometimes the 'hard way'). There are also a few very good up-to-date books around on the subject too....

The one thing that's harder to do from a forum is to diagnose & treat your snake once it has issues...(in fact it's not ethical for us to do so, beyond giving general suggestions...we aren't seeing your snake & aren't vets);
                    so always remember that it's far easier to keep a snake healthy than to make a sick one well again. Drugs are very tricky & of limited use for our cold-blooded pals. It's all about "prevention".

Comment

Noelle Is perfectly correct . Pet stores, In my opinion are the worst place for reptile advice - they are often completely wrong. Not only do I NOT take my Boa(s) to public places, I avoid pet stores completely, because of the dangers that they can bring to my collection. Going to a pet store , means a mandatory shower before handling personal reptiles.

Comment

Alright. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                        X