Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Handling] nicest way to put it being a grump

Hi all
    This is my 2nd post and I'm hoping you all can help me. I have had my cb13 male common boa and my cb14 female common boa for about 3 months so far. Initially they lived together but yesterday I moved my female into a separate viv due to him getting quite protective now I'm all for young love but it was making handling a nightmare she is perfectly fine and very placid. He was to start with for the first month but became more and more defensive so like I said handling was a pain with him. She is now in her own house and I know its early days but he's still having none of it. I would really appreciate it if any of you have any ideas on how to make him docile and lovely again?
    Thanks
    xxxxx

Re: nicest way to put it being a grump

Starting off housing them together was a bad ideal, but only house them together only if your breeding them. I would say continue with handling and he will soon calm down and be more loving like how you want him.. Keep him in his own viv and leave him along for about a month with no handling but after that continue that handling.
    sigpicJrock23

Comment

Not to rain on your parade, but some of them just really never take to handling much. They are all individual. Many keepers have those pain in the butt snakes and often they are the best looking snakes that you want to take out and handle and admire but they would rather you admire them hands off. That's just the reality of it. Consistent and brief periods of handling are the best bet, but understand that he may never be very tolerant of it. On the other hand, most have also taken in snakes that are "aggressive" and they have turned out just fine with proper care and regular interaction. Good job on housing them separately though!

Comment

I'm glad you recognize that he is being "defensive"...most ppl mistakenly call such snakes "aggressive" or "mean". If you are patient & considerate with him, this shall pass for MOST snakes with "attitudes". A very simple way

he can learn to feel safe with you is to put a small hand towel over him, then gently wrap it around him and hold him for a while inside the towel...at least a half hour of calm with you...he will enjoy your warmth & learn to know

your scent & touch yet not actually see you. We ARE scary to most snakes. Only gradually (when he is much calmer) will you let him see out...and then gradually hold him without the towel. This may take a different amount of

time for your snake than for others...but it pays off in the long run. I did this with a feisty yearling BCI that no one wanted (due to biting) and in about 2 months she was trustworthy...never did I get even one bite from her, not

in the 12 years she was mine. She would have bitten me at first of course...not her fault, just fear; I just never gave her a chance to bite until she no longer wanted to. Remember that the only thing that normally picks up a

snake in the wild is a predator about to eat it....but snakes do learn beyond those instincts when we are patient & kind.

Comment

I'm with AaronZav , on this . Many will mellow out with time , but I have a few (and have had others) , that will never be handleable , no matter how much caudling and towel- wrap training that I could try. Of course, they are always the best lookers of the litter too.

Comment

Originally posted by Morgans Boas View Post
            Of course, they are always the best lookers of the litter too.
            I have one like that. He's pure evil but oh so gorgeous to look at!
            http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Hi, mine was a bit defensive too but not like yours I guess... I think a normal reaction to re-housing procedures, setting up and inexperience. With her it worked very well a plan suggested by the seller, consisting of taking her in and out many times for 10 minutes every day... but I see some suggest to leave him alone for a while and use a lot of tact.

Comment

Working...
              X