Aggressive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Behavior] Aggressive?

Ok...so it has been a minute since I've owned a boa. I think I've forgotten a few things...lol! Christine always appears to be ready to strike, head and neck in an S curve. Even resting! Is this just normal for an RTB? She seems relaxed, well fed, and curious. But it is one of the reasons I haven't handled her yet. I know I need to suck it up this week...she is going to get big fast and I have to be able to handle her. And I know young boas can be bitey. I just couldn't remember if this is normal pose for them or not.

Re: Aggressive?

Yes it's normal for babies they're vulnerable which means they're more aggressive. Just be confident when handling. And she'll most likely calm done

Comment

Mine are young and shy, one was just defensive while the other turned defensive-aggressive a couple of times. Don't worry, handle them with confidence I'd say at least 3/4 days per week, provide them with the appropriate care and you'll see big improvements like I did, I hope. And try to build a relationship with her, no matter what they say, it's a personal matter. Bye.

Comment

Not "aggressive"...just self defense! Small snakes are dinner for many predators...don't take it personal. Be patient & she'll learn she is safe with you...if you want to avoid that first bite, put a little towel over her, & gently pick her

up with it...keeping your hands under her when you slowly remove it. Take some time, let her get comfortable with you...it pays off, truly! Remember that to a snake, your approaching or moving hand may appear to be something quite

separate from 'that thing she's sitting on'...try to understand "honest mistakes" are just that, nothing more. And you'll avoid most or all bites if you pay attention...& try to see it as your snake does.

Comment

Thanks everyone! She just ate last night so we are going to begin with handling Monday or Tuesday. I have a friend going to come help me out who is snake knowledgeable...just in case. I am definitely going to try the towel trick with her. She is a beautiful girl and I hate that I haven't been able to work with her! We also decided to add a smaller snake to the household...picking up a baby bp in two weeks for my boyfriend and my son. That gives me time to work with Christine while they get used to holding a snake they aren't afraid of. They can work up to Christine...lol!

Comment

Things will workout for you just give it time and continue to work with your snake.
            sigpicJrock23

Comment

ps: I discovered today that mine is afraid of towels. o.o

Comment

Originally posted by NitenIchiRyu View Post
                ps: I discovered today that mine is afraid of towels. o.o
                Snakes are afraid of anything strange thing coming their way...the towel is to help you avoid a bite, since snakes don't usually bite us thru a towel! It does reduce what they see as threats coming toward them, while they
                have a chance to get used to your touch & scent...and mostly they feel safer hiding in the towel rather than seeing us "big scary monsters" looming over them. Some ppl want to wear gloves...but that is usually less
                desirable as it's hard for us to have adequate sensitivity of touch while wearing gloves. To me, gloves are the very last resort.

Comment

Working...
                X