Just a Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Behavior] Just a Question

So i have read some posts and I see alot of people get bit when there boas are younger when i first get him home from the petstore how long should i wait to start handling him with less risk of a bite and when i do go handle him how should i go about doing it?

Re: Just a Question

That may be the longest sentence in the history of RTB...

Originally posted by Aspectt View Post
    how long should i wait to start handling him with less risk of a bite
    I usually give new arrivals 10 days to 2 weeks to chill before I start handling too much.
    and when i do go handle him how should i go about doing it?
    To borrow a marketing slogan from a shoe company, "Just Do It." Once they settle it, they'll usually calm down.

Good luck with your new baby!

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Ok and I just now see that it's all one sentence hahaha

Comment

Most baby snakes, not just boas, are defensive and nippy when young. It makes sense because at that age they are prey for a great many other animals. To them we look like Godzilla; it takes time, patience, and a lot of gentle handling before many figure out that we're nothing more than warm mobile trees and providers of rats.

I agree with minimal handling for the first 10-14 days, just enough to change water, clean up any messes, feed, etc. After that let your baby alone to digest for 2 days after feeding day, then start with some short handling sessions, and don't put the baby back into its home unless it's behaving - you don't want to inadvertently teach it that biting means you means you will immediately return it to its hide.

Comment

In addition... Make slow deliberate movements... Keep your fingers together... Don't ever smell like a snack... Keep the snake away from your face... Be calm and quiet and watch your snakes behavior.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Fu Joe View Post
            In addition... Make slow deliberate movements... Keep your fingers together... Don't ever smell like a snack... Keep the snake away from your face... Be calm and quiet and watch your snakes behavior.
            I second the bit about keeping them away from your face , seems so obvious and yet there are so many pix and vids of snakes near or touching faces online .

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
              I second the bit about keeping them away from your face , seems so obvious and yet there are so many pix and vids of snakes near or touching faces online .
              Yup. And not every snake will bite you in the face, but there's always a chance one might. And that's enough for me.

Sent from my HTC One via Tapatalk

-Sean in NoCal
              “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
              -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

That also depends on how the boa ended up close to your face. While I wouldn't just go shoving my face into any snake's personal space, if I'm handling one and it crawls up my arm, across the back of my neck, over my ear, and then thinks my glasses would make an awesome perch, there's not much likelihood of getting bit.

Comment

SO even when you guys have owned yours for years you dont put them in your face or when there new to you and the house?

Comment

SO even when you guys have owned yours for years you dont put them in your face or when there new to you and the house?
                    So much depends on individual personalities: ours AND our snakes- Safer not to do it...but personally, I am very comfortable with my snakes and go out of my way to show them that they need have no fear of my face.

BUT: I would recommend that you do NOT do this until you are equally comfortable reading the body language of your snakes...and I can't say how long that will take, but I'd delay for at least a few years. I've kept many
                    snakes of many kinds for a "ridiculous" number of years, so what I am comfortable with might not be wise for you at all....and do consider what a bite to your eyes might do?

Comment

So when there little are they always going to be bity or just a litle?

Comment

I've acquired groups of babies in which one or two were extremely aggressive and didn't mellow out until after a couple months, while siblings were mellow right from the beginning. I agree that they all have individual personalities and most will calm down with repeated handling and the right mentality. That being said, while courting a lady myself, I offered her the opportunity to handle one and she took me up on the offer. I got out one of my best and most mellow snakes which has never attempted to bite anyone for as long as I had her. That being said, it took less then 30 seconds for her to end the possibility of a third date. Lesson learned!

Comment

So when there little are they always going to be bity or just a litle?
                          Some do, some don't...and much is a response to how we are too. I have literally gone into petstores and picked up snakes they "couldn't sell because they could never pick it up without getting bit" and cuddled the snake,
                          even to my face, without a bite. But I wasn't 'born this way'....I've interacted with countless number of snakes for years...and I'm very observant.

It is considered normal (instinctive self-defense) for a baby snake to bite though...anything that picks them up in the wild is normally planning to eat them! So what you have to learn is how to let snakes know you are safe.

As mentioned in the previous post, I too have had groups of hatchling & neonate snakes...some are persistent biters, others are quickly passive...the whole range of personalities! Some need more reassurance than others.

Slitherz, that probably wasn't the right gal anyway....at least you didn't waste too much time trying to find out?

Comment

I've had my boa for many years... She has been well cared for and handled often... She has never snapped at anyone... She is way too big to keep away from your face when handling her, as your face is always within her striking range... But I still use common sense.

I wont open the door and stick my face in there lol... and if she is cranky I'll often hold her within a couple feet of her head. Like slitherz said... stuff happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                              So much depends on individual personalities: ours AND our snakes- Safer not to do it...but personally, I am very comfortable with my snakes and go out of my way to show them that they need have no fear of my face.

BUT: I would recommend that you do NOT do this until you are equally comfortable reading the body language of your snakes...and I can't say how long that will take, but I'd delay for at least a few years. I've kept many
                              snakes of many kinds for a "ridiculous" number of years, so what I am comfortable with might not be wise for you at all....and do consider what a bite to your eyes might do?
                              That's so true about bitten eyes !
                              There is someone on this very forum who was bit in the eye a year or so ago and swore that the sun shone on their eye and made a glint which attracted the bite .. I always wonder what happened to their eyesight .... maybe someone will provide an update .

Comment

Working...
                              X