No announcement yet.

finding spiders and other insect!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Substrate] finding spiders and other insect!

I'm finding little black spiders, and really tiny red/orange spiders and another nat type of insect in my boas enclosures on there water bowl and in the aspen. Please help! Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Re: finding spiders and other insect!

I would clean out the entire cage, and when I say clean.. I mean CLEAN. I use bleach and water. I spray it all over, scrub it down, and then water it all out. I put it outside to air dry for no less than 24 hours to ensure all is out. I use my sniffer to make sure there is no remaining smell.

Replace with paper towel and check again. You need to determine if the black specs are spiders or mites.

Does your snake spend time in the water soaking? Do you have other snakes?

Comment

Sound like you got a mite problem.. Like the other comment that was made, CLEAN CLEAN CLEAN!! Also get you some mite spray or soak your boa and you might want to quarantine your boa just in case you have other snakes. If you do be sure to check there enclosures as well because mites travels to find new hosts, so they can lay more eggs.
      sigpicJrock23

Comment

This is good advice... What type of enclosures are you using? Are they porous like wood? glass? plastic?

Comment

I know What mites are and these are definitely not a parasite. They are spiders as I've seen them since I was 4. They don't bother my boas, they're never even on them. I'm just curious if the aspen bedding could have brought them in. My two bp's don't have them in there enclosures. They are all in 50 gallon tanks. The black spider is just a house spider we find out here looking for some heat because of the weather. The little red ones are still a mystery.

Comment

No my snakes do not soak unless I bath them. I'm quite knowledgeable about rtbd and reptiles in general as I have had them sicne I was 6. These are FOR A FACT not mites.

Comment

I seem to recall from another forum (a long while back) about a member's sudden death of an otherwise-healthy boa that was attributed to the bite of a spider found in it's cage; spider venom can be quite toxic and not
              necessarily something that a non-native snake can cope with, so if that were my snake & cage, I'd still follow the advice to thoroughly get rid of whatever captive pests are in the cage with your snake, whether or not they
              are 'mites'. Your snake has no ability to escape when these things decide they want a meal...tiny spiders often prey upon each other first, then as they grow, they go after other sources of food...such as your snake.

I once had a few ants get into a gecko cage to go after the mealworms in his dish...but in the process, the gecko received a few ant stings and summarily died, just as I discovered the situation. Don't underestimate tiny
              venomous creatures....

Comment

Okay well I obviously didn't leave my snakes in an unsafe environment. But.. How did they get there? I've searched my house extensively and have not found any insect period. Could the aspen bedding hsve these little red spider creatures in it?

Comment

Originally posted by VincenzoFebbraio View Post
                  .... Could the aspen bedding hsve these little red spider creatures in it?
                  Sure, why not? They leave their eggs in all sorts of places...and before you bought the aspen, it most likely sat in a warehouse....spiders love warehouses!

Comment

Should I Spread out the rest of that bag and let it sit on a table over night outside so the cold kills them?

Comment

Originally posted by VincenzoFebbraio View Post
                      Should I Spread out the rest of that bag and let it sit on a table over night outside so the cold kills them?
                      I don't think it's cold enough where you are to do any good.

Comment

Working...
                      X