No announcement yet.

Placement of Herpstat probes??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Housing] Placement of Herpstat probes??

Hello,

I have just purchased a 48" x 24" x 16" PVC enclosure for my 6' Boa. I will be heating it with heat tape on one side along with an 80 watt radiant heat panel.

What are your recommendations for placement of the heat probes? As well as the best way to adhere them?

It is a Herpstat Pro, so I was planning on having one probe monitoring the heat tape for belly heat, and the other probe monitoring the ambient temp that the radiant heat panel with be providing.

(The other two remaining probes will be used for my other Boa (9 month old) that will be in a 40 gallon breeder tank for the time being.)

Thanks

Re: Placement of Herpstat probes??

For the RHP, you want it about an inch or two above the substrate on the RHP side. For the heat tape, I tape it directly to the heat tape and monitor the suface temp with an infared thermometer.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

i have a herpstat 4 , i used the foil tape to tape the probe right onto the heat mat for the belly heat at 92F , and the other probe i suspend about 3 inches below the RHP which has a shelf below, set to 84F, have to get creative on how you do that though. this makes for a cool side of 75 , ambient of 80ish and hot side belly heat is 92 and below the RHP is 84F

Comment

Thanks for the feed back. When you both mentioned "taped directly to the heat tape". I'm assuming you mean on the outside of the heat tape, and "not" sandwiched between the tape and the pvc?

My only concern was using tape inside the enclosure to attach the probe for the heat panel. Do a lot of you guys drill additional holes to run wiring?

This is my first time using a pvc enclosure, and just want to do it right the first time.

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead1980 View Post
          I'm assuming you mean on the outside of the heat tape, and "not" sandwiched between the tape and the pvc?
          That's where my probe for my Boaphile stack is. On the tape in between two cages.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

Tsblair said exactly what I was going to recommend.

Comment

Working...
            X