Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boa Soaking excessively, should I make him move?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Behavior] Boa Soaking excessively, should I make him move?

Hello,

I obtained a 6 foot, 3 year old male Boa about 3 weeks ago, he has eaten well. But I found out last week he has mites, as he was soaking quite abit.

This past weekend I moved him into a "brand new" 48" x 24" x 16" pvc enclosure which was sprayed down with Provent a mite. All conditions are correct in the enclosure

However he has been in his water dish since Sunday, so going on 3 days now.

Should I leave him be, until he is ready to come out?, or should I physically remove him from the water dish each day to change the water?

He is somewhat cool to the touch, as the water dish is on the cool side which is about 76 ambient, warm side is 90 (heated by heat tape and radiant panel)

My concern is that he is staying to cool, and too water logged, but I know he is soaking because of the mites, which I will spray his enclosure again 10-14 days.

Just confused as to what to do, let him do his thing, or make him move? As today is feeding day, and he has been a good eater so far.

Thanks

Re: Boa Soaking excessively, should I make him move?

I would change his water. Also, you can soak him in a tub of water with a very tiny drop of mild dish soap, such as Dawn, for 15-20 minutes every day. The soap prevents the mites from floating on the water, so they sink and drown.

Hopefully you are using paper substrate in his enclosure. Spray it with PAM, allow it to dry, and keep treated paper on hand to replace soiled paper when he makes a mess.

Comment

I also read that as the snake soaks, mites will crawl up to the snakes head and hide in the eyes and the fold of skin under their chin. I would use mineral oil and put a dab on both eyes to suffocate/draw out the mites while he is soaking. However, I have never had mites on my snakes so I do not have first hand experience.

I do know that the mineral oil is safe though, I have used it to loosen eye caps when shedding.

Comment

Use baby oil and literally douse a rag with it anf wipe every inch of him down. Including his eyes (gently) and his entire head. Baby oil is mineral oil which is 100% safe for snakes. This will kill any mite besides the eggs but once the eggs hatch they will suffocate from the baby oil. Boom no mites, and your snakes skin gets moisturized haha.

Comment

Yes, I'm using paper towel, that has been treated. I have heard of the bath with dish soap, but have never heard of the baby oil. Just want to determine which way is safest and most effective?

So I guess based on the above responses the consensus is to get him out a bathe him, or wipe him down to give him some relief from the mites that are still on him?

I hate seeing him sit in that bowl all day, especially since it is cooler on that side.

Comment

Originally posted by motorhead1980 View Post
            I hate seeing him sit in that bowl all day, especially since it is cooler on that side
            If you are worried about temperature move the water to the warm side. You should change the water out often if you do this but atlas he will be warm and get relief. And yes, I would try the mineral/baby oil on the eyes at least, I have never rubbed if on a snakes whole body before so I am not sure if the residue will bother his/her skin.

Comment

I've done this to treat numerous snakes for mites. It is 100% safe. It WILL NOT irritate the snake at all. It's natural. Safest way to remove mites. No use of chemicals. I quarantined them in plastic tubs with paper towels, a water bowl, and a heat pad. Simple.

Comment

Working...
              X