I start tomorrow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Handling] I start tomorrow

So had my little ryuu for two weeks now feed very good two times and had shed fully once. He seems pretty sweet held him at store and they said he was out in people's hand more then in the cage. Held him once seemed to be fine but I am now going to start regular handling sessions every day. I would like to know in what way is to best to approach him so he does not get so afraid and maybe strike I blow on him every time a mist him down and such. He flicks his tongue every time. How should I go just reach in slowly and touch him let him know I'm there and just see how he reacts?

Re: I start tomorrow

I've always believed that Boas can safely tolerate handling for 2-3 times per week -- 15-20 min per handling. More
    than that Is taking them out of their element for too long , causing stress.
    Your approach should be easy and gentle. If it starts showing aggression, and striking, then I come in fast with an open hand to pick it up (this discourages them from striking. ) Then picking them up while they are cupped in your hands , up to your body. After awhile, you can let it free-crawl thru your hands.

Comment

Re: I start tomorrow

I also suggest keeping other animals out of the room with the Boa. And wash your arms and
      hands before handling. I have been bit before because I had pet the dog or cat earlier in the day

Comment

Working...
      X