Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] I want to understand

Hello All,

I was just wondering where I could find some information on understanding the "different" kinds of boas. Like Albinos, Salmons, Jungles, Motley etc. I want to better understand the differences and what markers to look for in the different snakes. I am just trying expand my knowledge as much as I can on boas and genetics and all.

Thanks,
    Trevor

Re: I want to understand

Start here. This should help.

Genetics Forum

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

You have come to the right place!

RedTailBoas.com contains a wealth of information and a membership comprised of some of the most knowledgeable keepers and breeders you can find.

Sean aka [MENTION=7657]Pandorasdad[/MENTION] pointed you in the right direction with the Genetics Forum. Read, read, and read some more. If you get stumped, don't hesitate to ask questions.
      "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone... I have taken your advise and have been reading forums like crazy and making notes [emoji2]

Comment

It's a surprisingly huge learning curve, but once you "get it", recognizing different morphs will become second nature. Don't give up! Unfortunately, a lot of people who've been keeping and breeding boas for years forget how hard it is for newcomers to the hobby to tell the difference between even common morphs.

Years ago, I remember posting a comment about not being able to tell a hypo from a normal. Ordinarily, hypos are pretty easy to pick out - it's a good starting point for learning all the different mutations, because hypomelanism is a key component in many of them (ghosts, sunglows carry the gene for hypomelanism.) People were baffled. I think a couple of them thought I was trolling.

We all start somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by thecasualchemist View Post
            It's a surprisingly huge learning curve, but once you "get it", recognizing different morphs will become second nature. Don't give up! Unfortunately, a lot of people who've been keeping and breeding boas for years forget how hard it is for newcomers to the hobby to tell the difference between even common morphs.

Years ago, I remember posting a comment about not being able to tell a hypo from a normal. Ordinarily, hypos are pretty easy to pick out - it's a good starting point for learning all the different mutations, because hypomelanism is a key component in many of them (ghosts, sunglows carry the gene for hypomelanism.) People were baffled. I think a couple of them thought I was trolling.

We all start somewhere.
            I think my library is getting sick of me lol.. I appreciate all the guidance and advice from all.

Comment

Working...
            X