Getting a RTB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] Getting a RTB

Hello. In November, I had to get rid of my animals. I used to have a red tail but, my brother helped me take care of it and he moved out after we had to get rid of our other one. I plan to get another by CL or ATL Repticon in April. So, I kinda need to get caught up. What is the best size tub that I can find at Walmart (something to house him for a couple of months)? What's the longest time I can keep him in there? Any advice? Sorry. This is probably really dumb. #sorrynotsorry

Re: Getting a RTB

Well If you don't have the snake yet and it seems you want to use the tub as temp home, my advice would be to get the forever home first, then the snake unless there is one you found in particular you want now. As for tubs, the one downside I find in them is that you need to keep the room ambient temps warm enough as a UTH isn't going to really heat the air inside the tub. If you plan to only keep the snake in there for a couple months like you said, then pretty much anything will work as long as you get the temps right and aren't picking up something like an 8ft adult female. The size of the snake will determine the size tub you need. A small baby? Probably something like a shoebox size tub. An adult, probably some huge freakin tub. As for length of time, a small one can easily live in an appropriate sized tub for 2 month as long as like I said, you get the temps right.

Comment

Thanks. I need to keep him in there for a couple of months while I save up for a boaphile. Any advice?

Comment

Not for tubs, sorry. I have never used them. I use glass tanks as temporary homes as I can get the heat gradients and humidity easily with them. Plus a 40 gallon breeder will keep a snake happy for about 1.5 years so worst case, I got plenty of time to get my PVC cages. I do use Herpstats on the glass tanks though as a T-stat is the most important item imo.

Comment

I thought that glass tanks are like the worst to keep em in. When I used it for my old BP, it would never hold humidity.

Comment

Well, yes generally tanks are hard to keep proper temps and humidity. I personally don't have a problem. I just use a thick piece of cardboard cut to fit the top over the screen and then cover the cardboard in tin foil. I then cut a circle where I want the CHE dome to go and cut it about 1 inch bigger than the dome to allow air flow. Then I just put it down. It holds heat in and a large water bowl will keep the humidity up with the cover on. I run the CHE on a Herpstat set on dimming mode, not proportional mode. That way the CHE is always kept warm and not cycling from complete cold back to full power and then back to complete cold. I use 40 gallon breeders. Maybe something big like a 55 or 75 gallon might be hard, it should still be doable. You will just need 2 domes with 2 CHEs and probably 2 water bowls to hold the humidity in that large of a cage. I fully agree though that tanks are horrible for large snakes but for a temp home for something up to 4-5ft, it works fine. Anything bigger and you need a PVC or HDPE cage.

Comment

Would this be a good deal? Zilla® Tropical Reptile Starter Kit | Terrariums | PetSmart

Comment

Better off getting this All Living Things® Reptile Terrarium | Terrariums | PetSmart. Then just buy the dome cover, water dish and other stuff separately. That link of yours is only a 20g which a boa will outgrow pretty fast as its only 30x12x12. The 40g breeder is what I use and that's 36x18x16 which will last a boa to 4-5ft maybe 6ft if you are pushing it. Just noticed my link is for the general tank, use the drop down to get to the 36x18x16 one.

Comment

Check the Care Guide articles located at the following link:

Care Guide Articles

They should provide plenty of help.
                  "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X