how long to remove babies after birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Misc] how long to remove babies after birth

So the title really explains it all but a friend of mine and I have different opinions in this and I would like to hear what works for everyone else who has bred before. This is my first year as well as his. When you are sure that the female is done giving birth how long do you leave the babies in with her before pulling them out? and why? Thanks for any input i get!

Re: how long to remove babies after birth

I pull them as soon as I can and get the mom into a clean bath. All the babies go into another clean tub with clean water and stay together until the shed (about 7 days). This way I can clean the enclosure and get mom cleaned up and fed.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

Originally posted by tsblair View Post
      I pull them as soon as I can and get the mom into a clean bath. All the babies go into another clean tub with clean water and stay together until the shed (about 7 days). This way I can clean the enclosure and get mom cleaned up and fed.
      any pros or cons to leaving them in with mom for any extended period of time but still pulling them before their first shed?

Comment

Trying to get them away from mom is tough enough as it is when they are a bunched together and mom may crush em if they are left in with her
        Last edited by tsblair; 03-15-2015, 09:12 AM.

Tim

http://www.facebook.com/BoidsOhio?bookmark_t=page

Comment

Any other opinions out there?

Comment

I pull the mother out immediately because she is hungry and wants to eat. Also, I want to see the babies.

Star

Intelligence is not how much you know, but knowing how to put the knowledge you have to use!

Comment

Originally posted by weird_science04 View Post
              I pull the mother out immediately because she is hungry and wants to eat. Also, I want to see the babies.

Star
              *mom my crush em if they are left in with her

Thankyou for your guys' input. The more the merrier. Thanks!

Comment

I have only had one litter and she had the babies overnight. I had to get to work so had to leave the babies in with her all day. Once I got home, I pulled the mom out and put her in a bath while I removed all the babies and cleaned her cage.
                http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Originally posted by zamora View Post
                  I have only had one litter and she had the babies overnight. I had to get to work so had to leave the babies in with her all day. Once I got home, I pulled the mom out and put her in a bath while I removed all the babies and cleaned her cage.
                  okay. Thanks for your input zamora any body else have their thoughts on this topic?

Comment

I pull them about an hour after the contractions seemed to have stopped (if I get to witness the birth ) , for the same reasons -- I want to clean the caging , rinse momma, feed momma, and see what babies I have . Also, the slime will get crusty, and smelly. I really don't believe the mom will crush the babies, though it is possible. I've had several litters while being out of town. Moms are so gentle. Iv'e watched a litter be born last year that had 4 stillborns . They looked full term , no yolks. It would have easily been thought that the mother crushed them if I hadn't seen the birth. The mother usually plows her head thru the pile to push them around (with gentleness ) . It's probably a wild instinct to get the babies moving before a wild animal smells them, and eats the whole litter.

Comment

Working...
                    X