He did not eat for the first time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Behavior] He did not eat for the first time

Nothing out of the ordinary except I fed him on Friday on thrusday left for school around 715 dropped the plate and mouse in there and my dad home for lunch and still there first time he has refused a meal... I have a different colored napkin this time could that be it? Kinds worried what should I do?

Re: He did not eat for the first time

There are many reason a Boa wont eat, changing of cage temps or getting ready to go into shed another is if it is stressed any it will change its feeding pattern, does he look like he is getting ready to shed at all? has his temps in his enclousure changed any? Is he new? how long have you had him cause if you just resently got him they are usually stressed out for the first few days till they get settled into there enclousure, more info on the situation will help more with narrowing the problem down better for you, check your temps and make sure they are in the ranges they should be in...

Comment

Check the temps. Often a boa that refuses to eat is too cold.
      Originally posted by Aspectt View Post
      Kinda worried what should I do?
      Don't be. They can readily miss a meal or 3 before it will have a major detrimental effect.

-Sean in NoCal
      “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
      -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Just a word of advice --- don't feed on napkins or paper towels . They can easily become part of the meal, and even a baby Boa can consume the entire thing . I've seen it once at my place, and I've also read about it happening to other people . Some younger Boas have died from this . Luckily mine regurged it the next day, and lived. If you want to
        use something disposable , use a paper plate, or a piece of cardboard , or even an empty plastic container ( like a cottage chees container ) .

Comment

I just use paper plates. Works well and your snake wont eat it. As Morgan said, paper towels/napkins are a bad idea for reasons he listed already.

Comment

Likewise towels should not be used (as substrate) in a snake's cage. I've heard of a boa or python that swallowed a towel right along with the rat & needed surgery to save his life. Their long
            teeth easily catch on such materials and they cannot "spit them out"...it's a one-way street.

Comment

All my snakes are kept on paper towel and fed in enclosure. I know several people who do the same thing and never, Never, had them even come close to eating the paper towel.

Comment

Originally posted by lexiilish View Post
                All my snakes are kept on paper towel and fed in enclosure. I know several people who do the same thing and never, Never, had them even come close to eating the paper towel.
                Never say Never, there is always that one time and next thing you know you will be ending up with a Vet bill like no other

Comment

There's a 'first time' for everything though. All it takes is for the paper towel to get damp & it will stick to the rodent. "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure"

Comment

Never had paper towel stick to a rat, ever. Have you personally had it happen or just listening to what others say? Feeding on other bedding can be bad to as it will stick to the rodent, that's way more likely than papertowel sticking to a rat. And feeding in another cage can be dangerous as the snake is still in feed mode or moving on a fresh full belly can cause stress and regurg. So everyone has their own ways. I'll keep caring for my snakes as I have been. I know many breeders who keep and feed on paper towel or paper and have no issues either.

Comment

Oh and I don't feed wet prey. Everything is defrosted in zip locks. I do things a certain way just like other people do things there way.

Comment

Have you personally had it happen or just listening to what others say?
                        *hand up Mr Kotter*
                        I have had this happen. As a matter of course, I keep all the babies on paper towel substrate for a myriad of reasons that I won't go into right now. I have had many, many snakes eat just fine on paper towels but this ONE time it happened and you know what? It's very scary. Luckily I was able to stop the snake from eating the paper towel but if I had not noticed, it could have been a deadly mistake.

[MENTION=17548]lexiilish[/MENTION], that is bordering on rudeness, continue whatever practices you want to but if you have trouble, you have been warned. None of us can MAKE the others do things OUR way and won't try. Most of the suggestions are just that....suggestions from many years of keeping snakes. Just a FYI, If you look at the person's name on the left side of the screen, there are some colored squares in that area, look up what those squares mean and you can figure out who has been here a while and make informed decisions. That's one of the major advantages of the "forum life" as opposed to FB, you don't know on FB who knows what they are talking about and who doesn't.
                        http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

I gave out the word of advice, because I did have that happen to me . I had fed for years on paper towels with no problems (dry meals too - btw) , but one day it happened . I use newsprint now. I've seen Boas finish their meal, but still be in a feeding mode, and they'll open their mouth right on the floor where, they smell the scent of the rodent that they just ate - a paper towel will bee easily snagged in that way . Just saying --- don't be a person that has to have something happen to them, in order to learn a lesson. That's the worst way to learn. It happens - each year .

Comment

No that was not rudeness Zamora, it was a question.

And I know the risks of everything, I don't need to learn the hard way. I've heard of it happening but rarely. Just like a snake can ingest too much of the other types of bedding and become impacted. And feeding in a different container has its own issues. I choose to do use paper towels and in enclosures. I don't need to look at who's been here longer. And actually yea on facebook I follow the word of breeders and keepers I trust. I don't just listen to Joe shmo. This is the reason I barely post here. Someone goes against the way of thought and you do exactly this. And I'm not trying to make anyone do anything but it seems like yall are trying to make me not do things how I have been for quite some time now. Have a good day everyone, will not be posting again on this issue.

Comment

Working...
                            X