Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keeping a rat and snakes in the same room?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] Keeping a rat and snakes in the same room?

Hi. I have 1 pastel ball python and a monstertail hypo rtb. I want to get a rat because I've owned them and loved them since my childhood and nothings changed that. Is it okay to keep them in the same room? Any tips on doing so? I'm worried it's gonna drive my snakes mad. If it can't be done, I won't get one. And, I can't keep the rat in a different room. Thank you.

Re: Keeping a rat and snakes in the same room?

Imagine being kept in the same room as a mouth watering T-bone steak, but never being allowed to eat it. Because that's pretty much the same thing. You'd be putting your snake into a more constant state of feed mode, which could lead to being bitten. And a feeding bite with a wrap is worse than a quick "leave me alone" love bite.

Long story short, I wouldn't do it.

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Even in a different room, your hungry snakes will likely smell it...their noses work WAY better than ours! It's asking for bites...I wouldn't do it either. (it's also very hard to wash off rat scent from your skin, hair &
      clothes...and you want to be able to handle it as a pet, right?)

Comment

The breeder I got my ball python from, he kept his breeder rats in the same room as his hatchlings and juveniles. I went into the room and it smelled strongly of rodents. He even opened some of the tubs while I was holding some snakes. So, in theory, wouldn't it be fine?

Comment

Ball pythons are very passive snakes that have nothing like the feeding response of a good-sized boa. Don't say no one told you...there's always room for new pix in the 'Bleeders Circle' anyway, LOL.

Comment

There are a lot of experienced keepers/breeders here. I'm pretty sure the VAST majority will tell you it's a bad idea.
            Originally posted by IGotHerps View Post
            So, in theory, wouldn't it be fine?
            Because one guy did it? Sure. That doesn't mean it's a good idea.

-Sean in NoCal
            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

.... he kept his breeder rats in the same room as his hatchlings and juveniles. I went into the room and it smelled strongly of rodents. He even opened some of the tubs while I was holding some snakes. So, in theory, wouldn't it be fine?
              Snakes do not STAY "hatchlings & juveniles" for very long, you know. As a former snake breeder myself, I can tell you that we don't worry much about bites from nonvenomous hatchling & juvenile snakes, LOL.
              In fact we greatly prefer snakes that bite over those that are too passive and feed poorly. FYI, many ball pythons fall into the 2md category so perhaps he did this deliberately so as to get a better feeding response.
              The problem is, YOUR snakes will not be staying small and you will be asking for trouble, especially from your boa.

Comment

In theory? Sure. Anything is possible in theory.

In reality? Do not do it. You are simply asking for issues that you really do not want to have to deal with later. It is not worth the risk.

I know that rats do actually make great pets and can be a lot of fun. They are clean and relatively intelligent creatures; however, I would not risk even having a pet rat in the house - let alone in the same room.
                "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

I'm with everyone else on this one. But at the end of the day, we can only give you advice or suggestions but it's entirely up to you on if you choose to do it or not. Sometimes we have to experience things on our own because we feel a different way or we think it will work..
                  sigpicJrock23

Comment

We did it once when we were new to snake-keeping and had a live weanling rat left over from feeding the picky ball pythons. The boas weren't scheduled to eat that weekend, but after a few of them took swipes at our hands over the next 24 hours, our big female ended up with a snack.

Comment

....So, in theory, wouldn't it be fine?
                      The whole reason to ask such questions on a forum like this is so you don't have to "learn the hard way".

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                        The whole reason to ask such questions on a forum like this is so you don't have to "learn the hard way".
                        Exactly. Smart people learn from their own mistakes. Wise people learn from the mistakes of others.

I made a mistake when I did it. Dont do it.

Comment

I have to disagree. I have two guinea pigs and a hamster in the same room as a 7 year old boa and notice no difference in his personality.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog999 View Post
                            I have to disagree. I have two guinea pigs and a hamster in the same room as a 7 year old boa and notice no difference in his personality.
                            So do you also feed your boa guinea pigs and hamsters, or do you feed it rats? And how often do you feed it?

I am asking because they (guinea pigs and hamsters) smell different from rats, as do mice and rats also smell different. I think maybe if you keep your snakes too close to what is their normal diet, it may be a bit of a cruelty to inflict on either the snake or the hopping, squeaking, maddeningly unobtainable live prey.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigdog999 View Post
                              ....I have two guinea pigs and a hamster in the same room as a 7 year old boa and notice no difference in his personality.
                              Many snakes, including boas, do LOVE guinea pigs or hamsters for dinner, but it helps that yours has never been offered them for consumption. I think what we're saying here is that it's better to error on the side of safety
                              no matter what, because on the off-chance that your tactics fail & you get injured or worse unexpectedly by a 'feeding mistake' it reflects badly on ALL snakes and the keeping of them as pets. Most people don't like
                              snakes and/or they fear them, so ANY such incident fuels further attempts to legally restrict them being kept as pets. We need to think like a community of like-minded responsible folks here. It's just like what is happening
                              with pitbulls...because of SOME negligent owners, more and more places are banning them. (Pitbulls are banned in the city where I live.) Remember too that a 7 year old boa is not 'old'....in the many years you'll be keeping
                              him, there may come a time when circumstances make you late with his dinner & his eagerness catches you by surprise. Just sayin'...it's the same reason we wear seatbelts when we drive: we rarely if ever get into an
                              accident, but when we do they sure make sense.

Comment

Working...
                              X