Well Water

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Water] Well Water

Is using well water okay for my boas? I remember reading somewhere that high iron content in hard water is bad for their digestion. Is this true? I get pretty bad hard water stains in my bathtub and toilet, so I imagine that can't be good. I drink it and I feel fine haha. Do you guys use your tap water? Bottled water? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Re: Well Water

Gee that's a good question...have you ever had your well water tested for contaminants or iron levels, etc? I use tap water for my snakes...no problems now or ever, & my water (now & previously) had a lot of minerals too.
    I DO know that you do NOT want to use distilled water. I hope more members weigh in on this. I kinda think it depends on your specific water source. You might also look into a water filter, either manual type (just for the
    snakes, lol) or the kind you attach to the plumbing.

Comment

Haven't had anything tested, but I'll look into it. What's the reasoning behind not using distilled water?

Comment

I have small to medium sized chunks of the iceberg that sank the Titanic imported in and put through a rigorous filtration process before...

Okay, I'm shaking my head at my own sarcasm, so I guess it's time to stop. Lol. Just playing around.

Seriously though, our water here in town is "safe" to drink, but we do not drink it because we do not particularly like the taste whether it is safe or not. Either way, we use the tap water for the snakes and all of the other animals and they all do fine.

Remember, who knows what kind of contaminants these creatures are subject to in the wild. I would say that unless you well water has tested or proven toxic for something, everything should be just fine.
        "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AaronSB View Post
          Haven't had anything tested, but I'll look into it. What's the reasoning behind not using distilled water?
          I seem to recall reading where the lack of minerals actually caused problems (serious illness or death) but I don't remember the whole scientific reason/s...may I suggest further research, if you were thinking of using it?
          The source seemed credible att & it's not something I was interested in using anyway.

Comment

Can't argue with that logic...thanks.

Comment

Oh I see... well, I'll just pass on the research and not use distilled! haha

Comment

My family, dogs, cats, lizards, and snakes all get well water. I do have my well tested once a year, but I've lived in my house for 6 years and never had a water related illness. That being said, if you;re in a rural enough area, ground water contamination from agriculture is a thing. I'd get it tested. Less with regard to the snakes and more for you.

-Sean in NoCal
                “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Oh I see... well, I'll just pass on the research and not use distilled! haha
                  I'm only guessing but it might have something to do with osmosis at the cellular level...?

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
                    .... if you;re in a rural enough area, ground water contamination from agriculture is a thing. I'd get it tested. Less with regard to the snakes and more for you.
                    You might think rural areas would be 'safer' but in reality, many areas have also been the site of illegally dumped chemicals (other than farming run-off) or fracking in the area might be an issue. You also have
                    to consider contamination from drug manufacturing too. I remember reading about the water test results of an area in So Calif some years back where they talked about finding a trace of jet fuel...yum! It would
                    be nice if we could just assume that well water was safe & pure...but without testing, you just don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
                      My family, dogs, cats, lizards, and snakes all get well water. I do have my well tested once a year, but I've lived in my house for 6 years and never had a water related illness. That being said, if you;re in a rural enough area, ground water contamination from agriculture is a thing. I'd get it tested. Less with regard to the snakes and more for you.
                      Looks like I'll be contacting my landlord about this. I've never even given this a thought until I got my boas. My dog and myself haven't had any issues for the last 2 years..but better safe than sorry.

Comment

Looks like I'll be contacting my landlord about this. I've never even given this a thought until I got my boas. My dog and myself haven't had any issues for the last 2 years..but better safe than sorry.
                        Your landlord may have had it tested at some point in time? I doubt if it's anything you can force them to do though...and if they're not too interested, it might have to come out of your pocket, or maybe you can talk them
                        into splitting the cost. Peace of mind might well be worth it. Not sure what testing would cost, but maybe not too much...I'd make a few calls if that was me. Municipal areas have to routinely test their water for safety, so
                        you might ask them (in the nearest city) where they send their water for testing.

Comment

I checked and it was actually tested last month, and it's good to go! Good thing I didn't have to go out of pocket..

Comment

Good thing I didn't have to go out of pocket..
                            Yeah, it isn't exactly cheap, but it's worth it. I actually had to chlorinate mine once due to bacteria in the well pump bell. But it was fine after that. The well had been unused for a while when we first bought the property. Now that I'm used to my water, I can't go drink water at my parent's house. It tastes like pool water.

-Sean in NoCal
                            “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
                            -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Is using well water okay for my boas? I remember reading somewhere that high iron content in hard water is bad for their digestion. Is this true? I get pretty bad hard water stains in my bathtub and toilet, so I imagine that can't be good. I drink it and I feel fine haha. Do you guys use your tap water? Bottled water? Any input is greatly appreciated!
                              Hi AaronSB,

I have well water and I don’t use it any more accept when I really have to with my boas. I only use it when I can’t get to the store to get some filter water. I use filtered water from Wal-Mart or my local super market. I fill up 6 to 8 five gallon jugs every few weeks for my snakes. Many years ago I only used my well water for my boas and pythons. Then I had a lot of my BCC boas and a few of my BCI morph boas start to die on me from kidney failure. My Vet did some test for me and it turned out to be from my well water. My well water has a high iron content to it and this is what caused my boas to have kidney failure.

If you notice your boa’s white poop has a green tint to it then your boa may have kidney problems.

Take care
                              Tom

Comment

Working...
                              X