Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was ready to feed my boa when I caught a glimpse of his eye.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Shedding] Was ready to feed my boa when I caught a glimpse of his eye.

So I was getting my boa's next meal prepared, a nice small pinkie and then I noticed... His eyes are milky! So knowing not to feed him now due to that, I have a thawed rat here, and am wondering if it's okay to freeze it again until after his shed cycle, or to just get rid of it.

Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions.

Re: Was ready to feed my boa when I caught a glimpse of his eye.

I would not refreeze meat for myself to eat, so I wouldn't risk it for a boa. Mine will usually still eat when about to shed. I personally don't think it hurts them.

Comment

No harm, some will eat and some won't. My boa still eats as normal, but those picky bp's.....forget it!!

Comment

Originally posted by SerpentsEmbrace View Post
        and am wondering if it's okay to freeze it again until after his shed cycle, or to just get rid of it.
        When in doubt, throw it out.

-Sean in NoCal
        “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
        -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Mine will eat during a shed cycle. Offer the food and see if he takes it. Leave it in the cage for a few hours without anybody around and then come back and if the rat is still there then throw it out.

Comment

Alright guys no problem! He really just didn't take it at all. He bit it, pulled it to the corner and then.. Sat on it for like 30 minutes. Safe to say he doesn't want it. I'll be throwing it out tomorrow after work.

Thanks for all the feed back!

Comment

... Safe to say he doesn't want it. I'll be throwing it out tomorrow after work.....
              Mmm! it's gonna smell really good by then...LOL

Comment

Everyone has given great advice.

Typically, I have found that most boas will eat while in shed and it does not cause any undue stress or other issues with their shedding process.

As for the prey item. After it has thawed, either feed it off or discard it. It is worth the risk of developing issues with the feeder.

Alright guys no problem! He really just didn't take it at all. He bit it, pulled it to the corner and then.. Sat on it for like 30 minutes. Safe to say he doesn't want it. I'll be throwing it out tomorrow after work.
                In this situation, if you haven't already pulled the prey item from the cage then you can leave it in overnight and the boa may still take it. Being in shed, the boa most likely feels more vulnerable and is therefor waiting for what it feels is the perfect and safest time to start the ingestion process. There is a good chance that you will find it gone in the morning if you were to leave it overnight.
                Last edited by bebowebb; 07-10-2015, 12:36 AM.
                "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Morrisr View Post
                  but those picky bp's.....forget it!!

Grrrr........I have some BPs that rival even retics in their feeding responses. Let's not generalize please.

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                  Mmm! it's gonna smell really good by then...LOL
                  My thoughts exactly. Especially if they do like mine and drag it on top of the heat tape....oh and AFTER dunking it in the water bowl. Phew, nasty!
                  http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Originally posted by bebowebb View Post
                    Everyone has given great advice.

Typically, I have found that most boas will eat while in shed and it does not cause any undue stress or other issues with their shedding process.

As for the prey item. After it has thawed, either feed it off or discard it. It is worth the risk of developing issues with the feeder.

In this situation, if you haven't already pulled the prey item from the cage then you can leave it in overnight and the boa may still take it. Being in shed, the boa most likely feels more vulnerable and is therefor waiting for what it feels is the perfect and safest time to start the ingestion process. There is a good chance that you will find it gone in the morning if you were to leave it overnight.
                    I have more rats and am going to try again today and this time I will give him adequate time to begin his ingesting of the food item. The old one was thrown out the day after the original post was made, but I threw it back in the freezer in it's own safely wrapped bag. :P

again, this time, I'm going to keep it in there for a while!

Comment

UPDATE - I JUST WATCHED HIM DEVOUR THE WHOLE THING WITH EASE.

Little bugger was just shy last time around it seems. Glad to see him being himself again! :P Haha!

Comment

Great news! Did he ever shed yet? or did he just go clear now & decide to eat? Just easier not to feed snakes in shed, IMO...his behavior was entirely normal.

Comment

Glad to hear things are better and that he ate fine on the second round.
                          "An increase in reptile education can lead to a decrease in reptile discrimination." - Bebo

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
                            Great news! Did he ever shed yet? or did he just go clear now & decide to eat? Just easier not to feed snakes in shed, IMO...his behavior was entirely normal.
                            He is currently halfway through his shed cycle. I'll get a picture up later after work!

Comment

Working...
                            X