Boa rescue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Misc] Boa rescue

I was going to buy a baby Boa but have decided to rescue one instead. If anyone has any ideas or knows of a reputable web site let me know.

Re: Boa rescue

Welcome to the forum.

I rescued mine from Craig's List. The snake does not have to have physical damage. If you can just get it before something happens that is great. You would be surprised how many people don't provide proper or ANY heat, water, food, substrate.

Even local pet stores can guilty sometimes.

Best
    Last edited by Reinz15; 07-15-2015, 07:53 PM. Reason: Sp

Comment

Is there a herp society in your state? Ours runs monthly adoptions free for members and there's almost always boas in need of homes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Your intention to rescue is commendable. Apart from herp societies, many veterinary offices have bulletin boards where people post pets they'd like to find homes for. You might also try posting that you are looking to adopt.
        Now & then forums like this even have posts from owners who are forced to give up their pets for any number of reasons, so be on the lookout for that.

As far as actual rescue organizations, these are some that I've come across that seem reputable (I've not dealt with any of them personally):
        VARR Home Page (aka VARR) Virginia reptile rescue
        Homepage - CORHS - Improving the lives of Reptiles and Amphibians! - Colorado Reptile Humane Society (Colorado Reptile Humane Society)
        .: ForgottenFriend.org - Reptile Sanctuary :. (I think this is allied with Petfinders.com?)
        Note that most rescues do NOT ship...VARR does, but most don't.

Comment

Where do you live? That would help a bunch.
          http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Look on the internet for reptile rescue societies in your area. Most reptile rescues available are turtles or tortoises but be persistent and you'll find something that interests you. You might have to drive a little to meet the one you want to adopt before you can adopt, and there might be an adoption fee, but if you're serious about adopting, these are small hurdles. Have a set-up ready at home and a means of transporting it home. Be patient. Some rescues need to adjust to normal care.

Sent from my LGLS740 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thank you to all who gave advice, was exactly what i was looking for.
              I found this guy on Clist, (they arent my pics)
              He is 2 years old, is 7 foot long and weighs about 30 pounds. (is it just me or is that a little on the skinny side?)

What do you think?

Comment

Does not look 'skinny' to me? Hope you are forever happy with him...it's a challenge (& possibly a risk) to take on the unknown (especially adult) snakes, both in health & temperment terms. Looks like a winner to me!

Comment

Definitely not at all skinny, boas are supposed to be square. If they are round they are fat.

Comment

It's gorgeous! But wow - 2 years old and 7 feet long? Sure grew fast! Mine is 7 feet long and 7 years old. Must be a different variety/sex? Is yours a male for sure?

Comment

Originally posted by TammyJam View Post
                      It's gorgeous! But wow - 2 years old and 7 feet long? Sure grew fast! Mine is 7 feet long and 7 years old. Must be a different variety/sex? Is yours a male for sure?
                      I havent picked him up yet but the owner told me she was positive it was a 2 year old Columbian male.. I wont know for sure until I get him in to see the vet later in the week.

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
                      Definitely not at all skinny, boas are supposed to be square. If they are round they are fat.
                      Thank you for pointing that out, I was worried

Comment

So I got him home today, he looks a lot bigger in person than the photos i saw. His previous living conditions were horrible, in a glass aquarium with no hides and about 6 inches of substrates that he was burrowing under for security.
                        He seems to be extremely curious and very very confident, im not sure if he is really social or he thinks my hand is food but he follows my hand around and shows a lot of interest in it and is not even slightly shy.
                        I imagine every snake has its own personality but im used to my baby ball python who isnt so assertive. Not going to lie, the Boa makes me little concerned that he might be mistaking my hand for food and a bite is on the way for me in the near future. The previous owner told me that he only fed him frozen rats and he ate 5 days ago when I asked so he shouldnt be hungry...
                        Any handling tips I should be made aware of?

I'll take pictures in a few days when he is all settled in.

Comment

Boas are much more aware than BP's and it's perfectly normal for them to watch you and track movement.

If he ate five days ago he should be good for at least another five days, my two year old males are on a 10-14 day feeding schedule.

Substrate thick enough to hide under isn't a bad thing as long as it's clean, boas love to burrow as well as climb.

If you're worried about him being nippy start hook training him. It also helps if you wash your hands in cold water and then apply a bit of lemon-scented hand sanitizer to them before handling your boa, most don't like the smell.

Comment

[IMG]C:\Users\Delaware\Pictures\Holly.jpg[/IMG]I am interested in rehoming a boa that I have had since she hatched. She will be 4 on Christmas, has always eaten frozen and has shed well. She has never struck at anyone and it a wonderful pet. Sadly my personal circumstances have changed and I belive it would be in her best interest to find a competent Boa enthusiast to care for her. I am in Ohio but will travel to put her in the right setting. I am not worried about making any money off of her, I just want her to go to a good home where she will be cared for properly.

Comment

Originally posted by Achaleon View Post
                              .... Not going to lie, the Boa makes me little concerned that he might be mistaking my hand for food and a bite is on the way for me in the near future.....
                              Like bcr_229 said, he's probably just curious...it's very normal, especially since for him, his entire world just changed! Use what works for you, 'hook training' &/or scent cues, to communicate whether it's dinner or
                              handling time. I suspect he's going to do well & be a good pet, especially with better care.

It's perfect that he fed 5 days ago...I'd not feed him for at least 2 weeks, maybe 3, now. You might also hold off handling him for now too...all snakes need time to "settle in". It's totally normal for them to be more
                              nervous in new surroundings and with people they don't know...and therefore more likely that they may nip in fear until they feel more comfortable (ie. "safe") in their new home. Just be patient...and don't have rodent
                              scent anywhere on you when you go to handle him. And don't forget that he doesn't "feel" as big as he looks to you...even snakes that seem curious are shy.

Comment

Working...
                              X