New reptarium have a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Housing] New reptarium have a question

So I ordered a new 260gal reptarium for my red-tail. But Im just wondering which position to put it in.
    So it 29x29x72. So I'm curious do I stand it up so she can climb. She's roughly 5-5.5 ft. So a 6ft cage would give her plenty of room to climb.
    Or do I lay it on its side so she has 6ft to crawl around in.

I have a few branches for her to climb right now. I'm looking to get more of the long ones so she can climb up.

Re: New reptarium have a question

I would say, put the tank on a strong table, on its long side. With some nice climbing branches, water pool, hides etc., and all the right temps and humidity, this should be fine. I would love to see it when you are setting it up, and afterwards, with snake inside.

Comment

I agree with Tammy...most boas are more horizontally-oriented, but if yours is a maverick that likes to climb, it wouldn't be "wrong" to set it up vertically either. Whatever works...it's a nice size either way.
      But just as in a 2-story house, most of the heat goes upstairs, so you MAY find it more of a challenge to keep the temperatures correct if you set it up vertically.

Comment

Hey thanks for the input guys. I went ahead and laid it on it's side. She was digging it. She's been in a tank that was too small for her so once she got in here she got all spread out. I'm still waiting for my branches to come in the mail. Probably gonna go get some substrate for her today.

Comment

Sounds great, Johnnyh; they sure do enjoy stretching out on branches...and moving around helps keep them in shape.

Comment

Is this a 260gal "Apogee Reptarium"? The ones that are ALL mesh on every side?

If so, I would be worried about the mesh siding for heat and humidity control, but also that it may not have enough structural support for a large boa. I have heard a couple horror stories about this particular cage and snakes.

I hope you can make it work for you though. The one I saw is a neat cage for lizards and things but I can't see the mesh screen all the way around being beneficial for a high heat/humidity snake.

Either way, I hope it is what you were looking for and the snake can live a happy and safe life. and yes, we LOVE pics

Comment

Working...
            X