Large Snake Hides

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Housing] Large Snake Hides

Hey guys was just wondering what you guys use to hides for your full grown boas. Do you make your own? do you buy them? modify plastic tubs? I am asking because i am going to build a 5ftLx2ftWx2ftH enclosure and was wondering what i should use for hides when he is full grown.

Re: Large Snake Hides

They sell nice molded plastic ones at reptile shows. You could make your own but they need to have a bit of weight to them and it is nice to make the top textured so it can actually grip it. Just don't make it too big.

Comment

I see a lot of folks using kitty litter boxes upside down with a cutout. I have access to large diameter PVC pipe, "free" so that is what I use.

Comment

I made a huge one of wood sides (treated for water resistance) with a tile-board (thin melamine?) top, double U-shaped doorways at one end (easier for a large snake to enter & leave) and used a new nylon
        carpet doormat on the top (washable & gives perfect traction). I found my boa loved it, used both inside & outside (basking on top) & it cost very little to make (<easily!).

Comment

There is a restaurant supply store near me that sells black plastic bus tubs for $5. My husband cuts off a corner and files any sharp edges off of the plastic. They are very sturdy and I like that once flipped over, the "top" holds about 1/8" of water so you can spray a good bit onto it to bump up humidity without turning the enclosure floor into a soppy mess.

Comment

This is an old picture of what I have used in the past for some of my boas. However now most of my boas are in a rack system now so they don’t need a hid. I did like using pop cases as when the boas urinated or defecated in them I would just throw them out and put a new one in when needed. I know it dose not look very nice but it make cleaning up much easier.

Take care
            Tom

Comment

I use these - Reptile Hide Boxes from Reptile Basics. It gets kind of pricey but I like the way they look and they're very easy to clean. The larger snakes tend to move them around a bit because they're pretty light but I think you'll run into that issue no matter what. The jumbo ones work well for my 6ft BCI's but they're too small for my 6ft Dumerils Boa who is considerably thicker.
              “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
              www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

I've had good luck with automotive oil drain pans. They're available in a few sizes, most are black (offering security), and they are round, which fits a coiled snake very well! I just cut an opening with side cutters or a hacksaw, and file any rough edges. Best of all, they're reasonably priced - usually around $6.00 at any auto parts store.

Kathy

Comment

I find great products from the goodwill to use .. Nothing metal or sharp

Comment

Originally posted by McCarthyBoas View Post
                    This is an old picture of what I have used in the past for some of my boas...... I did like using pop cases as when the boas urinated or defecated in them I would just throw them out and put a new one in when needed. I know it dose not look very nice but it make cleaning up much easier.....
                    I have no problem with cardboard boxes but that's an awfully big 'doorway'...most snakes won't feel secure that way....though they'll probably use it because that's all there is. For snakes that are 'gourmands'
                    as most boas are, it may not matter....but for other shyer snakes it may make all the difference between a snake that eats and one that doesn't. (also applies to neonate boas or those recently re-homed)

Comment

Love that oil drain pan idea!

My big girl long outgrew the Kitty Litter pan... I was thinking about one of those cement mixing tubs from the hardware store. I usually just cover the door of the cool side. I don't think there is anything in my house big enough to make her nervous anymore anyway

Comment

Working...
                      X