Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of App features would you want for Boa Husbandry?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Record Keeping] What type of App features would you want for Boa Husbandry?

If you had a choice of any features to help you manage your snake husbandry, feeding and whatever other data in a free cloud service, what would it be? This includes from the web, iPhone or Android App.

I have the capabilities to build such a thing, but wanted to see what others feel is needed, or if it is necessary. I personally can see a way to manage feeding, collection size and genetic background for starters, and in the future when established helping manage linage across multiple breeders/collectors.

Another fun project when the following is big enough, I can integrate deep learning (neural network) to help categorize based on patterns and color.

Anyways, any ideas will be entertained but my goal is I want this to improve our husbandry over anything.

Shane

Re: What type of App features would you want for Boa Husbandry?

I think that would be so cool if there was an app for snakes. Maybe have it set up so people could go to areas that meet their needs. For example a section for beginners n one for experienced. Then they could look into breeding, or identifying, bedding, how to treat for mites or parasites. In other words have different things in their own separate places to make it easy to navigate through. But I'm sure you're already thinking of this anyway. So yeah, great idea and good luck with your project

Comment

I think if it automatically opened for a "Today's addition" screen which would be for adding current records for the day of with a drop down of something along the lines of "Cleaned, Fed, Defecated, Urinated, Bathed, Notes, etc." where each one before notes would just add the simple word to the log for that day. Notes would let you expand on any observations.

That is essentially how I do my log for Buddy, but because I have to get on my computer to do it, I only update significant changes or to add pictures.

Comment

A reminder several days (perhaps configurable) before feeding to take f/t feeders out of the deep freeze and put them in the refrigerator to start thawing.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
          but because I have to get on my computer to do it, I only update significant changes or to add pictures.
          This is what I am looking for, how to make life easier and make some data recording that typically is a pain, simple. Last thing you want is to be fiddling around on a computer, so easy steps on a phone/tablet is a must for the application.

Comment

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
            A reminder several days (perhaps configurable) before feeding to take f/t feeders out of the deep freeze and put them in the refrigerator to start thawing.
            So maybe an "inventory" manager along with feeding schedule that is tied to a calendar of sorts, and with some bells/whistles like notification (whatever time-frame user likes.

Comment

This suggestion may be a little off topic... But I really want a snake cam. I absolutely hate leaving pooh and pee in my cages. I wouldn't want to be stuck in a cage, forced to inhale baked poop. I always clean it up immediately, sterilize everything and bathe the snake. A mini camera to cell phone app would be useful in monitoring for mess and cage temps when away from home.

Comment

They do have them... they just aren't cheap. I think it is $200 for the camera and you have to run another power cord into the cage.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinytail View Post
                  So maybe an "inventory" manager along with feeding schedule that is tied to a calendar of sorts, and with some bells/whistles like notification (whatever time-frame user likes.
                  This would be my suggestion. When you have 8 or 10 different feeder sizes and snakes that are on 3 or 4 different feeding schedules, it can be a pain to keep up with who's eating when, and keeping the right inventory. I do it in an Excel spreadsheet now, but I still somehow wound up with about 60 too many small rats and never enough XLs.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
                    I think if it automatically opened for a "Today's addition" screen which would be for adding current records for the day of with a drop down of something along the lines of "Cleaned, Fed, Defecated, Urinated, Bathed, Notes, etc." where each one before notes would just add the simple word to the log for that day. Notes would let you expand on any observations.

That is essentially how I do my log for Buddy, but because I have to get on my computer to do it, I only update significant changes or to add pictures.
                    I agree, a logbook of some sorts would be sweet!! I use the notes app on my phone and just note what day I fed and what it was and such, but that's getting kinda lengthy ha

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Fu Joe View Post
                      This suggestion may be a little off topic... But I really want a snake cam. I absolutely hate leaving pooh and pee in my cages. I wouldn't want to be stuck in a cage, forced to inhale baked poop. I always clean it up immediately, sterilize everything and bathe the snake. A mini camera to cell phone app would be useful in monitoring for mess and cage temps when away from home.
                      I have to go looking for dookie bc mine likes to go under into the substrate to go potty. I have to "dig for treasures" often ha

Comment

I myself use a good old fashion notebook and a good old pencil.. LOL... I dont know much about this Iphone App you speaking of, Because i have this lame Android avant. phone but i would one day hope to become a baller and get an Iphone LOL...
                        sigpicJrock23

Comment

Working...
                        X