Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove a snake in a paper towel roll?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] How to remove a snake in a paper towel roll?

So today when I was looking for Buddy, he wasn't in either of his hides which was odd. I found him in his paper towel roll curled up. I know he isn't stuck, but it is the middle of the day which is his favorite part of the day to come out of his cage and explore where he doesn't have to rely on me for heat. I don't have to take him out, but I was wondering if I ever had to get him out of the roll, how would I do that without stressing him out a bunch? I'm hesitant to pick up the roll because I can't imagine that would be a fun experience for him.

Re: How to remove a snake in a paper towel roll?

Been there, had the same problem: very easy solution, although the cardboard roll is sacrificed; just find the spiral seam on the roll and tear it open...you'll soon uncover your snake, looking surprised to see you, LOL!
    Probably time for a new roll anyway? If you try to nudge them when they're in a roll, they just stay in there tighter & tighter, & cardboard rolls offer great traction. If you're using a PVC tunnel, they can often be slid out.

While using such rolls for our snakes isn't as "convenient" for us as normal "lift-off" hides, many snakes really appreciate the sense of security they feel when wedged into a tunnel with "back pressure", especially when
    they are smaller & instinctively know they are "easy pickings" for predators.

Comment

He never goes in the roll (that I see) so it doesn't need to be changed. lol I'll look into the PVC when he gets bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
        ....it doesn't need to be changed....
        Well it won't be the 'same' after you tear it open, lol.... and if he's in there today, obviously he likes it.

Comment

I think he likes it too much because it now seems to be his go-to hide. lol But I'm about to feed him so hopefully he doesn't try to go back in because then he might get stuck. lol It is also on the cool side of his cage.

Comment

He won't (can't) get "stuck", & I'd just move it (w/ him inside) to the warmer side. I'd let him enjoy it while he can. I mean, it's not as if he's asking for much??? (I even save larger cardboard rolls for some of my
            snakes that enjoy them...the ones from gift wrap & such. I guess I "spoil" my "kids", lol...)

Comment

It really is a wrapping paper roll cut to 24" because that was how long he was when I cut it. lol And I have a stack of wrapping paper rolls of difference sizes for him which I would cut as needed. I guess I could move his roll, I'm just worried because he tends to push it and roll it around and I don't have a way to anchor it on the warm side like I do on the cool side.

Comment

Well, you'll figure it out...snakes are very patient about training us.

Comment

Working...
                X