Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Misc] Stupid Burm Video - Feeding Question

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F3vlQBHyqw

The link above is to (what I see as) a stupid burn owner feeding his snake(s) - but that's not the the reason I'm posting it. When the snake strikes the first time (and misses) it gapes. (2:20) I'm assuming it hit its mouth on something when it missed but I'm not entirely sure. What causes that? Did it hit it's mouth or is there another reason? Also, is there a reason he waves the rabbit like that or is he just teasing the snake?

I apologize if this is in the wrong section, I didn't think it was a feeding issue so I figured general was the best place.

Thank you for your insight.
    Ox

Re: Stupid Burm Video - Feeding Question

I think big constrictors like that dislodge their jaws when they go for the strike, so the jaws didn't look too out of the ordinary. My biggest issue with the video was the idiot trying to act cool by feeding with the rabbit in his hand, then pulling back when the Burm struck. Seriously, if he'd just used some tongs or grabbers the snake could have hit it on the first try and it would have been way less dramatic.
    sigpic

Comment

I just plain have issues with that channel. They both try to act like a teenage Steve Erwin trying to be cool. I imagine the real teenage Steve Erwin didn't care enough about what other people thought about him to try to be cool.
      People! Just be who you are!

Comment

I think they are just trying to have some fun. Although at about the 30 second mark, you can see if for any reason the snake missed the rabbit, the little girl's face was right in the line of fire.

Even with supervision, she seems a bit too young and small for that style of feeding. I think long tongs and being off to the side would have been a safer approach.

I enjoy seeing dad and daughter interact, but I think she needs to wait a bit before feeding a snake that size. Most of us here are comfy with snakes, but non reptile folks would certainly cringe if they watched that one.

Comment

Originally posted by Primolilla View Post
          I think long tongs and being off to the side would have been a safer approach.
          This is sensible for feeding ANY snake, regardless of size. I do this with my male boas, and they aren't very big. There is no reason, NONE AT ALL, to feed a large boa by hand. And it is just idiotic to stand directly in front of one. Especially something like a burm that hits like an NFL linebacker with 100 or so super sharp needles.

Originally posted by Primolilla View Post
          I enjoy seeing dad and daughter interact, but I think she needs to wait a bit before feeding a snake that size.
          I have let my kids feed the snakes, even my largest boas. I'd argue that there's nothing wrong with him letting her feed the snake. But that he either doesn't know or is choosing to ignore safe feeding practices, and then passing them on is a problem. One that could be disastrous should that little girl bet snatched up by that snake.

-Sean in NoCal
          “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
          -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Working...
          X