X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elizabeth94
    replied
    Re: Interesting change in behavior

My boa always wants food. I notice after about four days from her last meal she prowls all around her cage at night. As soon as I walk in she looks at me, flicks her tongue like crazy, and her eyes dilate. Sometimes I have to cover the glass with a towel so she doesn't get too excited. She does go into feed mode when I put her back in her face after handling, thats why my snake hook is an invaluable tool. I swear she would eat every day if I let her..

Leave a comment:

• acephantom903
    replied

That is a possibility. He moved from his warm side hide to his cool side hide about 12 hours prior to this handling which is usually the sign I take as he is ready to be handled. He did get stressed when I tried to put him away because he wanted to lay on my keyboard tray which is usually about 85 degrees from my computer underneath. When he gets stressed he starts to wiggle like crazy and that is usually when I'm trying to return him to his cage. If he doesn't want to be handled after being pulled out, he tends to move off of me and onto my keyboard tray and I let him so he has his space. The only time I prevent him from moving someplace is if he can get into trouble like trying to get into my computer wires or under my bed.

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
    It's the old story of the keeper who tosses a dead rat into the cage in front of his snake, and the snake just sits there & ignores it for the longest time. Finally, the keeper reaches in to remove the rat & BAM! gets bit!
    What happened there? The snake smelled the food but with minimal reliance on vision, wasn't convinced enough to pounce until he sensed motion and warmth (thanks to his owner's moving hand!), ROFL!
    I believe that story. Sunday I dropped Buddy's F/T mouse in his warm spot when the mouse was warmed up to 98 and he went up to it with his nose to it staring at it for 15 minutes before I turned off my light and I heard him strike at it maybe 30 minutes after that just after I fell asleep. He normally waits for me to jiggle it but I want to try to get him to not strike as hard. Currently he throws his entire body and I'm concerned he might hurt himself because he likes to attack it from elevation.

Leave a comment:

• Noelle7206
    replied

Our snakes are "just like us" in that sometimes they get the munchies even when they don't need more food. I'm sure the amount of time since he ate, plus the cuddling warmth made him feel as though his last meal
    was well on it's way....especially after a little stretch (aka 'hunting' expedition) made "just enough room for some ice cream or popcorn"...LOL! Quite normal & healthy interests for a young growing boa. (good Buddy!)

Always remember that snakes do NOT need "all possible food triggers" to respond accordingly: motion, heat, and scent can all say "food!" to a snake...a snake with the munchies may respond to just one trigger, while
    a snake that's a shy feeder, not too hungry or possibly not so healthy may need all three forms of stimulation to get them interested.

It's the old story of the keeper who tosses a dead rat into the cage in front of his snake, and the snake just sits there & ignores it for the longest time. Finally, the keeper reaches in to remove the rat & BAM! gets bit!
    What happened there? The snake smelled the food but with minimal reliance on vision, wasn't convinced enough to pounce until he sensed motion and warmth (thanks to his owner's moving hand!), ROFL!

Leave a comment:

• walla2GSP
    replied

I'm no expert, but just my .02. Three days seems a really short time between feeding and handling. Lucy just turned 3 yrs and she doesn't even come out of her hide for 6-7 days after eating. and then she really doesn't want to be bothered for another day or two. Also, If he usually only sits for a few minutes, and didn't move for over an hour that would tell me he is still digesting or stressed. My guess is if you had waited another day he would have been fine, but without being there to witness the behavior I can't say for sure.

Leave a comment:

• acephantom903
    started a topic [Behavior] Interesting change in behavior

Interesting change in behavior

This is a first time event so I don't know if it was just a one off or if it is something that happens to anyone else.

Last night it was 70 hours after feeding Buddy and I pulled him out to handle him like I usually do the third day after feeding. When I pulled him out Buddy cuddled in my arms for just over an hour when he normally only cuddles for 15 minutes or so before wanting to explore under supervision. After that hour he explored a little before I returned him to his cage and changed his water. When I put his bowls back into his cage I noticed he was in feed mode watching me with his eyes fully dilated and waiting for me to get too close. It is odd because there should be no scent triggers to set him off and it has been too recent from his last feeding that he shouldn't be expecting to be fed at this time.

Has anyone else experienced this? It isn't an issue as long as he doesn't strike at the glass door.

There have been no significant temperature changes, he didn't go off food from the "winter" and he is about 7 months old.
Working...
X