For those that are new... And others that need a refresher

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [General Care] For those that are new... And others that need a refresher

I had just posted this on a Facebook group for someone dealing with an aggressive boa and really did not know how to deal with it. I thought that this might be a good place to leave it for anyone else new to dealing with an aggressive snake.
    http://www.facebook.com/aaron.souza....9756744141026/

"Snakes strike for 2 reasons: the most obvious, to eat, and second, when they feel threatened. Snakes DO NOT strike solely because they are mean. They strike because they are scaredy cats. Your number 1 goal is to make the snake feel COMFORTABLE and SAFE. Get a sturdy snake hook, and learn to gently lift the front end of the snake with the hook. Once you can get a hold on the tail with your hand get the snake up and out of its enclosure. Keep the snake held by the tail with your hand and allow the snake some room to move on the floor. Use the hook to gently and methodically keep the snake from turning on you. Always come from underneath. NEVER pin or swat. Once you have been able to calm the snake so that it no longer wants to turn on you (this may take a few sessions with only the hook) drop the hook and gently place your hand under the belly and lift off the ground. If the snake coils its neck gently and slowly turn your hand from under about 3/4 length down from the head, and face it's head away from you. Wait a few second. If it remains coiled you may slowly run your hand down its neck toward the head to uncoil it; making sure it remains facing away from you. Once the snake no longer coils it's neck it is calm, and you can try to let it slowly slither through your hands. Take your time and work up to it."

Hopefully this helps. Best!

Re: For those that are new... And others that need a refresher

Just saw that on Facebook and the timing couldn't be better. I just got a defensive adult male and while he's made some progress - I can now open his tub without him taking a swipe at me - he still has a long way to go.

Comment

Re: For those that are new... And others that need a refresher

Awesome, I hope the information was helpful!

Comment

Working...
      X