Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Ultimate Care Guide Comments - Open Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ultimate Care Guide Comments - Open Thread!

Originally posted by bcr_229 View Post
    Wild BRB caught on video eating a vampire bat:
    https://phys.org/news/2016-10-descri...a-preying.html
    Yeah, I can picture a BRB going after bats, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by Walter3rd View Post
      Boas often camp at exits to caves and catch the daily commuters. Bats and birds on occasion. I have read this before as well.
      I could actually see how the odd one or two maybe more could be opportunist bat eaters at cave entrances just surprised to see bats being named as a favourite meal of Boas .....

Then again another book a few months ago was adamant that snakes were ALL egg layers ...

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
        I could actually see how the odd one or two maybe more could be opportunist bat eaters at cave entrances just surprised to see bats being named as a favourite meal of Boas .....

Then again another book a few months ago was adamant that snakes were ALL egg layers ...
        There's plenty of prejudice in libraries: I've noticed that books on snakes aren't exactly the first thing they keep up to date on...and I've started donating some of mine to our local library to help.

Comment

I've seen footage of pythons doing this in Australia, so it isn't really a stretch to think that boas would eat winged night rats too. I posted on here many years ago now, a video of a large boa eating a howler monkey. I imagine the diet of a wild boa constrictor is fore more diverse that we generally give them credit for.

-Sean in NoCal
          “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
          -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

Originally posted by Pandorasdad View Post
            I've seen footage of pythons doing this in Australia, so it isn't really a stretch to think that boas would eat winged night rats too. I posted on here many years ago now, a video of a large boa eating a howler monkey. I imagine the diet of a wild boa constrictor is fore more diverse that we generally give them credit for.
            Whilst I agree that they probably eat all manner of things I'm just surprised they harped on about it and suggested it was a favourite meal then just added at the end that they have a penchant for rats tbh

Comment

Just wondering if anyone has had any issue with adult Boas and Viv glass breaking or anything ..

I have a male adult Boa , at nearly 7' long , very docile but very strong . I have a new wooden Viv bought from a local guy who makes them to order . I've added some extra lengths of wood to the back , also put four brackets on the four back corners just to add some strength at the rear and wondering if I should strengthen the front glass and front supports that house the glass ...??

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Zincubus View Post
                Just wondering if anyone has had any issue with adult Boas and Viv glass breaking or anything ..

I have a male adult Boa , at nearly 7' long , very docile but very strong . I have a new wooden Viv bought from a local guy who makes them to order . I've added some extra lengths of wood to the back , also put four brackets on the four back corners just to add some strength at the rear and wondering if I should strengthen the front glass and front supports that house the glass ...?? .....
                I hope & assume you're talking only about tempered glass? How thick is the glass? My "docile but very strong" 7.5' BCI did just fine in a huge aquarium...I suggest that
                you're ok IF your glass is comparable to the glass used in a similarly-sized aquarium...as water is VERY heavy & such tanks are made to take the weight without breaking.

Without seeing your new cage, I cannot say if you need those extra supports or not though.

Comment

Working...
                X