Boa seems to like colder temperature

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boa seems to like colder temperature

Hey guys, I have an interesting observation that I'm hoping someone else has noticed in their boas as well. When i first bought mine as a baby, she loved staying very warm and was often on the warm side of the tank. However, in the past few months, now she is about a year old, she has spent less and less time around the under tank heater hide and is comfortable under the hide on the cold side of the tank for what I think may be the entire day. Obviously, I do not watch her 24/7 but sometimes when I leave in the morning and come back at night she is in the same exact position leading me to believe she has not moved much all day.

Her under tank heater hide is like a mini cave that i made out of molding clay and put in the oven until it became hard. I make them periodically as she grows to make sure they arent too big or too small. She has plenty of room, but not too much room to not feel safe, and an opening that leaves about a half an inch on each side of her body when she passes through so she knows that nothing can surprise her when she blocks the entrance with her body, which she likes to do when shes in there. I have layers of newspaper underneath and I test it so that before I put her in the tank after I clean it every time, that there is enough newspaper under the cave, which is dirfectly over the heater so it isn't too hot for her. She can also lay on top of it if she wants. The top is flat and only gets somewhat warm to the touch. Once in a while she lays on or around the cave which, I imagine, is just when she wants to slightly warm up.

(Now it seems like she only spends an hour or two of the day in the heated area.. unless she eats a meal, in which case she usually seems to spend at least 24 hours on that side)

The hide on the cold side of the tank, that she loves, is a stupid fake plant that I got from some craft store. (She loves to get tangled in it to ensure that I get very annoyed when I try to take her out.. she seems to find fun in annoying me during this process, haha.) Me and my buddy who is also 22 and owns 2 corn snakes went in the craft store just to buy the fake plants for our snakes, so you can see that we care enough about our snakes to go out of our way to get it fun stuff, but I must say it felt weird two college guys going into a craft store and buying fake plants haha.

Anyway, Is it normal for my boa to prefer the cold side (which can range from 70-75 degrees) to the warm undertank heater, which is certainly not too hot, especially if she lays on or around the clay cave which she sometimes does?

I could do an experiement and switch the stupid plant with the heated clay cave, but I dont want to confuse her and I don't like the idea of putting the plastic leaves over the heated area even if it is only a controlled warm temperature.

Re: Boa seems to like colder temperature

your cool side of the tank is WAY TOO COLD. it needs to be from 80-85 on the cool side. what does your UTH have to regulate it? it is probly getting way too hot. do you have a thermostat? what is your humidity at? what kind of cage do you have for your boa? i am guessing that you dont heat up your room either, do you? and please say that you are not using the tape thermomaters, they are crap and you are better off just guessing what the tempature is in the cage.

you should get the care manual off this website, it help alot with the questions.

things you need:

1 thermostat
    2 digi therm or temp gun
    3 a UTH
    3 fresh water every day
    4 F/T prey
    5 timers for lighting
    6 a cage big enough for the boa
    7 cool side of 80-85
    8 hot side of 88-93
    9 humidity of 55-70%

Comment

Plastic plants are one of their favorite kinds of hides. You should get some for the warm side too, and also your cool side should be 80-85 degrees.

Comment

mine has a stupid plastic plant as well. the boa loves it im not to crazy about it

Comment

shivaboa, I took your advice and got a plastic plant for the warm side as well. My boa loves it and now spends an equal amount of time on the warm side and the cold side. Thankyou. I would have tried it sooner, but I was afraid of setting plastic leaves over a heated substrate but I guess putting plastic over a semi warm surface is perfectly fine haha.

julio- Yea I bet you hate it for the same reason I do. When you want to take them out they love to wrap their tail around the leaves a million times to make getting them out of the enclosure as hard as possible. Either way, Maxima clearly likes the stupid fake plants so I guess she gets to keep them haha.

Comment

How big are these "stupid fake plants"? My boa is totally spoiled and needs a new toy. Are we talking about something with a pot? Or something that just sits there? How do you anchor it to the floor?

Comment

Heres a pic of Maximas cage. The plants arent very big at all and no you dont need a pot. You can buy a decent sized one from a craft store for like 5 bucks and simply turn it upside down with the stem, that is supposed to be put in that green soft stuff, sticking straight up. I lean it against a corner and he crawls right under it. It never falls over or anything. The smaller plants on the left, his heated side, I got for 1 dollar each at a dollar store. I just layed then down on the heated cave that I made her and she somehow manages to crawl all over it and under it without ever moving the plant. She pushes 5 pound weights off the shelf that she is on, that i use to put on his cage at night, but she doesnt budge the plants haha.
              Attached Files

Comment

Very cool! I'm off to the craft store! Although I think the crafter types will probably run at the sight of me.

Comment

Awesome... and just so you know, If your boa happens to poop on the plants, dont leave then in a bucket full of hot, soapy water for an hour. They get a weird burnt plastic smell that wont come off haha. Just rinse it off with soap and itll get rid of the bad smell and completely clean them without giving them a permanent burnt plastic smell.

Comment

My UTH is on the opposite side of the cave/hide that my male loves, and he never goes over to it, but during daylight hours the tank is typically around 88-90 degrees anyways, so even in his hide it's middle 80's.

Comment

Working...
                    X