Affordable options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Affordable options

Right now i have a 75w basking bulb porviding heat day and night (which i know im not supposed to do) but my question is what is the best affordable option until i can get a uth/thermostat setup? Should i keep the basking bulb and get a nighttime red bulb to switch it out at night? or should i get a ceramic bulb for day and night heating? or an infared basking bulb for day and night heating? whats the pros and cons of eath ones? can i use a red night bulb 24 hrs?
    Thanks for the help.

Re: Affordable options

what kind of cage/setup do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by spiderusmvmc View Post
      what kind of cage/setup do you have?
      I believe its a 20 gallon tank, screen top, fresh aspen substrate......is that what you wanted to know?

Comment

Your set up is gonna be hard to maintain the proper conditions. I started out with a similar set up, and could never keep the temps and humidity right. It used to drive me nuts. then I switched to a wooden enclosure, and everything is good. Your snake should have a hot side temp of about 90, a cool side temp of about 80-82, and a humidity around 60 or so. I found it almost impossible to keep those figures in my aquarium. However, in the mean time, get yourself a UTH, or even a heating pad made for humans, they work well too, and put it under the hot side with an inch or so of space so the air can circulate under your tank. Check the temps often. You might have to cover most of the tank with a wet towel or cardboard to try to keep the humidity at or around 60. If you don't, you might start having bad sheds. As for lighting, a snake doesn't really need any, so you can use a red bulb, or a CHE for basking.

Comment

I was just wondering what kind of snake you had?

Comment

Originally posted by kaldridge View Post
            I was just wondering what kind of snake you had?
            Boa red tail. Dont know the exact breed or whatever. It was given to me and i was told it was a ball python lol and i had to figure it out myself that it wanst.

Comment

Probably the easiest, and cheapest thing to do would be to purchase an appropriate sized tub at Wal-Mart. Preferrably one with a latching top such as the 66qt underbed storage bin. I use them personally, and I love'em. Drill you a few holes for ventilation. A Flexwatt belly heat system is easy to setup. Wire it up with a dimmer switch and you have yourself an awesome temporary home. I will try to find a link to a wiring diagram for setting up the Flexwatt. This setup would cost less than a CHE, and will allow you maintain proper heat/humidity levels.

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeCharmer View Post
                Probably the easiest, and cheapest thing to do would be to purchase an appropriate sized tub at Wal-Mart. Preferrably one with a latching top such as the 66qt underbed storage bin. I use them personally, and I love'em. Drill you a few holes for ventilation. A Flexwatt belly heat system is easy to setup. Wire it up with a dimmer switch and you have yourself an awesome temporary home. I will try to find a link to a wiring diagram for setting up the Flexwatt. This setup would cost less than a CHE, and will allow you maintain proper heat/humidity levels.
                I agree, and it's been said that a heating pad used for humans will work in a pinch as well.

Comment

The SnakeCharmer's tub is definitely the cheapest way to go. I probably shouldn't be telling you that since I own a Retail Pet Store but since you didn't come to my store and ask I figured I could let you in on some secrets. I actually do carry sweater boxes because sometimes it helps me land a sale. I usually sell and UTH to go with it though. As far as bedding goes, get your baby on some tropical cypress. It's much better for humidity and much less dusty.

Comment

http://www.arbreptiles.com/cages/flexwire.shtml here a link on how to wire flexwatt

shawn

Comment

Whew, it may seem simple to you guys that have experience but to me, it seems like theres endlesss options and it all comes down to preference. So lemme ask this: If i go and get a UTH and a thermostat to control it, can i set it to stay at 90 or so degrees on the hot side and be done with it? Do i need to monitor the heat pad with my digi therm even though its set at 90 on the thermostat? Do i need some type of heat source at the top also with a UTH? If so do i need a ceramic,day, or night light? It doesnt seem to me that with a UTH set at 90 that i would need an type of heat at the top, but thats why im asking. lol sorry if i seem irritating but i just want to get this done with and thanks again for everyones help.

Comment

uth's are fine but i would highly recommend using flexwatt. as far as monitoring the temps yes you will need another thermometer to get acurate(sp) temp readings. if you set ur t-stat to 90 thats only the temp of the flexwatt/uth not the enclosures temp. what you would want to do is set your t-stat to your desired temp, let it sit for an hour or two and then take a temp reading on your hot side. if its at your desired temp then your all set, but if not just keep increasing it by a degree till you get it where it needs to be. if you are using a dimmer switch it is very important to monitor your temps. with a dimmer its only controling the power, so it is up to you to monitor the temps and make adjustments as needed. i know it seems that there are endless option s,and as you will learn there is not "exact" in the reptile world. just take the advice,experiment and find out what works best for you. we were all there once so dont be afraid to ask, there is no stupid question when it comes to snakes.

shawn

Comment

Originally posted by pdiddy1130 View Post
                          uth's are fine but i would highly recommend using flexwatt. as far as monitoring the temps yes you will need another thermometer to get acurate(sp) temp readings. if you set ur t-stat to 90 thats only the temp of the flexwatt/uth not the enclosures temp. what you would want to do is set your t-stat to your desired temp, let it sit for an hour or two and then take a temp reading on your hot side. if its at your desired temp then your all set, but if not just keep increasing it by a degree till you get it where it needs to be. if you are using a dimmer switch it is very important to monitor your temps. with a dimmer its only controling the power, so it is up to you to monitor the temps and make adjustments as needed. i know it seems that there are endless option s,and as you will learn there is not "exact" in the reptile world. just take the advice,experiment and find out what works best for you. we were all there once so dont be afraid to ask, there is no stupid question when it comes to snakes.

shawn
                          Thanks again for the info. So with an uth and a thermostat, i measure the temp with a digi temp, but where do i put the probe for it? on the aspen,under the aspen on the glass, or on the side of the tank a couple inches from the bottom or? and do i need an overheat light heater such as a day/night light or ceramic heater used in conjunction with the uth? or is the uth good enough?

Comment

i would place the probe directly on the uth,or as close to it as you can get ,which may mean placing it on the glass directly above. if the probe is placed inside your enclosure just cover it with some tape. then place your thermometer against the back wall of your enlcosure next to the hot spot so you can get a reading. a temp gun would come in handy at this point lol. check http://www.tempgun.com i think you can scoop one for like 25$. as far as knowing if you need an overhead heat source, i would just set up everything and check your temps. thats the only way to know if the uth will be enough. hope this helps a little.

shawn

Comment

Originally posted by pdiddy1130 View Post
                              i would place the probe on the uth its self or as close to it as you cant get ,which may mean placing it on the glass directly above. if it is in your cage just tape the probe so it is covered from the substrate. then place your thermometer againsthe back wall of your enclosere next to the hot spot so you can get a reading.a temp gun would come in handy at this point lol. check tempgun.com out ithink you can scoop one for like 25 bucks. as far as knowing if you need a overhead heat source set eveything upfirst and check your temp thats the only way to really know. hope this helps a little.

shawn
                              Ok, i KINDA get what you're saying. Right now, with my daytime light, i had the therm probe on the side on the tank a couple inches up, but then i put it down on top of the aspen (where the snake is) and i got a much hotter reading than i did when it was on the side of the tank. Which tells me its hotter on top of the aspen, i guess....hahah But when i was at the pet store, a girl was telling me that she just plugs in a UTH to the wall with no thermostat or rhet, for her snakes and swore up and down that it wouldnt burn the snake. I found that kinda weird.....But i would think that placing the temp probe on top of the glass inside the tank right above where the uth is would give a slightly warmer reading than on top of the aspen, but id rather be safe and have a warmer reading just in case the snake goes all the way under the aspen.....am i right?

Comment

Working...
                              X