Heating large enclosure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Temperature] Heating large enclosure

I put Iella in a 6'x2'x2' wood enclosure last week and thought everything was ok. I brought home a temp gun today and realized that 1) my thermometers suck and 2) I have a small hot spot, but my warm side in whole is off. I am heating the enslosure with a heat mat and a 250w che, both run off of a thermostat set at 90. My hot spot, directly under the che, is spot on, but this is a small area in general, the warm side is in the low to mid 80's and the cool side is in the low 70's. My question is how do i fix this? 1) bump my thermostat to the high 90's, this will raise the warm and cool side temps, it will just be very hot just under the che. Or do I 2) install a low wattage che on the cool side, thus boosting the overall temp of the enclosure? If I am correct, the second option is the way to go. Now another part of this question is, right now my thermostat probe is directly under the che, should I move it out from under it? Now that I think of it, that may solve my problem all together. Sorry about being long winded, this is just bothering me. Thanks in advance for any advice. enclosure pictures by hertzogcraig - Photobucket

Re: Heating large enclosure

You could raise the temp a tad on the thermostat and also raise you ambient room temps as well.
    What is your room temp?

Comment

We keep the living room, where she is located about 70-75 degrees. We live in an old house and without spending 2 entire paychecks a month on oil, thats about the best we can do. Would just moving the thermostate probe out from under the che do the trick?

Comment

You could look into getting a radiant heat panel from Boaphile. Give Jeff a call - he can help direct you on what size would be best for your enclosure.

OOC - how big is the UTH?

Comment

Dumb question, but while I'm still working on bumping the temps, everytime I go in the enclosure, she is in her hide on the cool side. The temp there is about 72-73 degrees. If she was too cold, she would move, wouldn't she?

Comment

Originally posted by hertzogcraig View Post
            Dumb question, but while I'm still working on bumping the temps, everytime I go in the enclosure, she is in her hide on the cool side. The temp there is about 72-73 degrees. If she was too cold, she would move, wouldn't she?
            Boas will sometimes move to the warmer side if they're too cold. Most times, at least with my boas, they only seek out a warm spot if they're trying to digest a meal or during gestation.

You could try moving her hide to the warmer side to see if that helps.

Comment

She does have 2 hides, one on the warm side and one on the cool side. So should I just assume that she is comfortable and that is why shes staying ther? Now the one thing that I didn't mention, that may make a difference, she is in shed, shes in blue right now, her eyes have been blue for about 2 days now.

Comment

Working...
              X