Ceramic heat emitters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [CHE/Heat Lamp] Ceramic heat emitters

Ok everyone I just set my tank up for my RTB that will be here Wed ... I have cyprus mulch as my substrate two nice hides a big water dish and some tree like substance i got from a pet store for it to climb on , also some fake leaves to hide. I have a ceramic heat emitter on my warm side and a reg 40 watt bulb on the other side. My questions are 1) i just plugged the CHE in for the first time and it has a odor, is that normal???? i know some appliances first plugged in can cause an odor. and 2) do you suggest anything else.. the stand that I have it on prvents me from using a UTH i do have the CHE hooked up to a thermostat. Im trying to monitor the day and nite temps for a few days before my little guy comes in.

Re: Ceramic heat emitters

I'm not sure if that's a bad thing or not, all I know is I did not smell an odor when I first plugged mine in... wish I could be of more help.

Comment

I would recommend getting either a thermostat or at least a dimmer (rheostat) so that you can dial up/down the CHE as needed to get the warm side to the right temperature.

You should be able to get either under $40 with the rheostat being the cheaper option.

Comment

You sound setup wit the CHE (btw, new residue smell) Thermostat. The only 2 things that I'd suggest are .
        - temp gun to accurately examine all areas of the enclosure
        - sounds like your using a screen top. If so, then maybe a piece of plexi-glass to cover much of the screen to trap in heat , and humidity .

Kudos to you for having this set up and dialed in before the Boa arrives . That's a good practice to have .

Comment

Keep monitoring, insulate the cage ...make sure you have at least a thermostat...and a dimmer you can get for 10.00 at home depot(plug and play type) no wiring needed.

the smell...I dunno check the screen its sitting on may have a thin layer of vynil on it and check to see if before you screwed in the CHE, a piece of paper or plastic bag did not get lodged in the light dome....oh yeah make sure none of the decorative stuff is near and unregulated CHE...might be slowly melting.......and check to make sure your outlet is rated for the CHE

Comment

Working...
          X