Need to keep warm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Temp-General] Need to keep warm

Hello, I'm a new owner & loving my new addition. I have a ? related to heating. Recently I have been having power outages & having to figure out in a pinch how to keep my little one warm, I have put him/her in my vehicle & turn the heater on. I kept a close watch on the temp while the power was off, needless to say this is not what I want to do often. So.. What do any of you use as a backup to keep your babies warm? Any help, tips or ideas are appriciated. Thank you Darrell

Re: Need to keep warm

I use a generator for my snake room incase of power outages

Comment

the best way to go is a generator....now if you live in an apartment...get some heat packs...like the ones they use to ship them to you

how long do the outages last

Comment

You can also get emergency power backups like these

http://www.backup-power.ca/powerpacks.html

The best one for this application is the 1500 model IMO, but the 600 watt could be okay for small applications example just running a few heat pads for a bit. No gas almost silent and portable. There are also larger units available for more and I think you might have some luck finding these on kijiji or ebay or something like that.

Mat.

Comment

A generator is not a bad thing to have just in general to be honest.

Comment

Well in the winter things can get pretty cold so I connected my girl to the UPS I use for my PC. As long as the PC is off (which is more often then not) I should get about 1-2 hours of run time depending on the condition of the battery.

I am a geek and so power failure is always something I prepare for... even if it never happens.
            Just my two cents.

Comment

Everybody already stole my thunder. I have a house alarm that is set to notify me if it loses power via it's own cell phone. If it loses power then that means my entire place did. i have a generator that I can run 3 or 4 space heaters off of. That' provides plenty of heat for me. You could also maybe look into a coal burner or something of that nature that may be cheaper. I don't know about the fumes and such though so don't take my advice to heart on that one. Kerosine heater maybe?

Comment

Thanks everyone, looks like I'll be going to the store real soon. I want to ask another ?, can you use a deep cycle battery hooked to a converter DC/AC like the ones for a car to run a heat lamp for short periods or would this not be wise? I already have the batteries from my boat. Thanks again for all your help Darrell

Comment

Working...
                X