Heat From Above Or Below your opinion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Temp-General] Heat From Above Or Below your opinion

Many reptile owners says belly heat is unimportant, and it is ambient heat that counts. Ive been on a number of forums this morning and it has always been the same argument is belly heat unimportant is it not required I guess there two sides to every coin. I am thinking to myself, "What does the idea of belly heating resemble in nature that snakes would normally utilize?" Unless we are using the odd example of a species that inhabits an area with subterranean steam vents or other such rare phenomena, where would most snakes ever have 24-hour access to a toasty warm spot on which to pass their time digesting a meal? The closest analogy to heat mats is a serpent basking on a warm road surface (or a sun-warmed rock) as its environment cools after dark. This might be a cozy solution for a few hours at best (and if no cars are coming down the road!). Eventually, though, the animal may have to tolerate some chilling before morning. in my opinion the sun is the chief source of heat, mostly in the direct form while radiating heat down from above. Snakes, and many other herps, have learned to adapt to this by developing routines of basking behavior to maximize the sun effectively. Many move into it for a while in the morning, until they reach their desired temperature level for activity. During the rest of the day, diurnal species move in and out of shade to maintain the proper temperature levels. Even nocturnal snakes with meals in their stomachs may spend part of the day in this manner to assist digestive efficiency, knowing that the heat gets "switched off' at night. They simply do not have the option of keeping a perfect temperature all the time and they have obviously evolved to be capable of handling it.Although belly heat can be valuable, I believe that snakes can better judge the warmth they need from heat coming down from above, rather than from heat rising up through their bellies, when it normally wouldn't be available at all. Captivity subjects animals to stresses that we are only beginning to fully comprehend, and keeping snakes at abnormally warm temperatures may be just as adverse as letting them get too cold. This may be why certain diseases and/or parasites that are normally held in check by the course of daily activity in the wild may gain the upper hand in captive animals.So what is your opinion on temperatures do snakes require belly heat or is your opinion that snakes get there required temperature heat supplied from above

Re: Heat From Above Or Below your opinion

In my opinion heat is heat, although belly heat might be slightly more optimal

I believe heat from above will heat sufficiently enough to keep a Boa healthy

Lar M
    Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

I don't believe snakes require belly heat, i just think it is more practical for the plastic cages being used by so many these days. When I had my boas in glass cages I provided belly heat and overhead heat, but they always preffered to bask under the lamp rather than sit on the pad. Now that they only have belly heat, they of course use it.

Comment

Originally posted by jdataco View Post
        I don't believe snakes require belly heat, i just think it is more practical for the plastic cages being used by so many these days. When I had my boas in glass cages I provided belly heat and overhead heat, but they always preffered to bask under the lamp rather than sit on the pad. Now that they only have belly heat, they of course use it.

Yeah..I am using belly heat...but i think heat from above is more natural...

Comment

I have some cages on belly heat , and some that use radient heat panels from above . I've heard people say that the belly heat is more beneficial, but the heat panels not only raise the ambient temps , they also make a nice warm spot on the floor of the cage directly below it as well . The cages with flex-watt, doesn't raise the ambients as much as I'd like. Both do work however , but to me belly heat with lower ambients isn't as nice for the Boas . Now if you're heating the whole room also, then belly heat is just fine.

Comment

belly heat in nature is like, they will go out and find a sunny spot to sit on, IMO its both belly heat and overheat at the same time. if the sun is hitting any certain spot, its gonna warm up the ground as well as the overhead heat of course. as long as your boa has a nice warm area to use and a cool side to retreat to, it will be fine.

Comment

I've used belly heat for the majority of my time keeping snakes but since getting my boaphiles I am using both RHP+Flex for top and belly. I really like this combo though its probably overkill (it doesn't turn on for very long).

Now, without the belly heat the RHP will definitly warm the ground up below it very quickly so it can pretty much provide belly heat on top of the heat from above.. but I am using 1.5 flex so that extends out beyond my RHP to provide a slight temp drop but still some heat... I'm just using belly heat on the racks of course and it works great. Very easy to keep the temps proper in those smaller tubs with just belly heat.

If I had to just get one or the other I guess it would depend on the cage size and where it was going (is it being stacked?). I'm starting to really like the RHPS myself but I have no problems with the flexwatt either. I think the RHPS just give you the better of both worlds , heat faster, but does not cover as much area.

Comment

well some snake bask, some snakes hang out in dark warm rocky out crops which would, in theory represent belly heat, but belly heat is closer to the digestive organs, soooo take it for what its worth, just some thoughts

Comment

i run amabient heat in the room some belly heat

Comment

Working...
                  X