Awesome Substrate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Humidity] Awesome Substrate!

Hey guys so I don't remember where I read about it but I found this site, uline.com. They have custom cut packaging material. So I thought I'd give it a shot and see how it goes. I bought a roll of the "indented kraft paper". It's 24"Wx360'L (perfct size for boaphiles)and cost me about $44. after shipping and everthing. I think it'll be a heck of a lot cheaper than paper towels(which i use now), aspen shavings but still looks better than newspaper and i imagine it'll be fairly easy to clean up and will absorb most messes. It looks really nice and clean and my boas seem to like it fine. Well here are some pcs. Let me know what everyone thinks.

let me know what you all think, hope this sparks some ideas nd people like it.

Re: Awesome Substrate!

Awesome! Thanks for sharing. I'll definitely keep this in mind when I get my Boaphiles.

Comment

Yeah the more I look at it the more pleased I am. It's easy on the eyes, practical and cost effiecient as well. It is enough to change a 421D 90 times. About $0.48 per every time I change it. I'm not sure exactly on how that stacks up to papertowels but I like. Thanks!

Comment

This stuff seems to be doing really well. No problems with humidity and the snaeks are liking it.

Comment

Good stuff, I won't use anything else now. I got mine from a different place though.

Comment

I have some questions...the great substrate debate! Need some advice. I was using aspen but since I added some juvie's to the club I think paper is easier. I got a roll of this stuff from Uline. I find myself using it for all kids of stuff as well as substrate, but I did have some problems with it. First my boas liked to go under it and pee on the cage, also I think they missed burying themselves in aspen or piling it up. The advantages are obvious quick cage change and you can spot any kind of soil. I found it tough to spot pee spots on aspen and when I changed it I would find tons of urates. The last straw with the paper was the humidity was terrible as it holds no water. My solution has been to use paper as a liner and then add in a very small amount of aspen. I change it all about once a week. Both the paper and Aspen are cheap. This seems to satisfy my needs at the moment, but I am curious what you all are finding with the paper?
            Last edited by nediver; 12-22-2009, 04:20 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Nediver, I have mixed feelings on aspen shavings. I like them b/c I feel the same as you as far as my snakes liking it. But it does prove to be a hassle at times due to the reasons you stated. It is not as easy to notice when a snake goes to the bathroom, mainly so for the little guys. But I also don't believe that they do no like the Uline product. It's just different and will take some time adjusting to but with proper hides should not be a problem. Bottom line for me is that it's easier to maintain a sterile environment with the paper, you always notice pee instantly and can be changed. This is just how I feel about it. I do still use aspen in my smaller boas tubs. Your idea to put aspen on top of paper also is not a bad idea. You wont need as much and shouldbe easier to monitor. Basically whatver works best for you and ulitimatly is best for the snakes works. Good luck.

Comment

1 ? For ya did use a different shipping method? I just ordered and it came out to $37.
                I've been a through and through news paper user for years,since I first got into the hobby,so this will be more of a change for me.lol
                I'll report back after I get it and have it in the cages.
                Last edited by Atrayu; 12-22-2009, 06:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nediver View Post
                  I have some questions...the great substrate debate! Need some advice. I was using aspen but since I added some juvie's to the club I think paper is easier. I got a roll of this stuff from Uline. I find myself using it for all kids of stuff as well as substrate, but I did have some problems with it. First my boas liked to go under it and pee on the cage, also I think they missed burying themselves in aspen or piling it up. The advantages are obvious quick cage change and you can spot any kind of soil. I found it tough to spot pee spots on aspen and when I changed it I would find tons of urates. The last straw with the paper was the humidity was terrible as it holds no water. My solution has been to use paper as a liner and then add in a very small amount of aspen. I change it all about once a week. Both the paper and Aspen are cheap. This seems to satisfy my needs at the moment, but I am curious what you all are finding with the paper?

Try to make sure the paper is flat on the ground....When your boa is out and about exploring the sides of the tub he will find the raised sides of the paper and crawl under it....

I use aspen for the little ones...maybe its harder to spot clean... but they feel more secure... Ive seen them using the compacted aspen to help shed there skin....and Ive seen them use the aspen more than any other rough surface in the tank for shedding...once they get older I put them on newspaper.......

Comment

I feel the same way as Jgon, I use aspen for my babies. I only use this paper in my boaphiles due to the near perfect fit.

Atrayu- I'm not sure why yours was a little cheaper. It only allowed me to choose from one shipping method(i suppose that's not choosing) which was 2 day mail. I probably live further away.

Comment

I have always wondered about this paper. How quick does it absorb? I don't like newspaper because the urine tends to pool all over the place before it gets soaked up. I have also tried newspaper under aspen but it ends up being a bigger pain than just straight aspen.

Comment

Okay originally I didn't know the answer to your question b/c I just got it and have had to clean up no messes yet. But i just went and cut a 1'x1' square out and dumped a half cup of water on it. It absorbed in a matter of seconds and didn't really leave any mess on the counter top. The paper kinda expands.

Comment

Originally posted by chaosboa View Post
                          I feel the same way as Jgon, I use aspen for my babies. I only use this paper in my boaphiles due to the near perfect fit.

Atrayu- I'm not sure why yours was a little cheaper. It only allowed me to choose from one shipping method(i suppose that's not choosing) which was 2 day mail. I probably live further away.

yeah i went on there site and it gave me a price of 37.00 and change....Its just the distance

Comment

I may have to try this stuff. Shipping is only $11.83 for me

Comment

I use the same stuff!!! Itsg reat easy to work with and clean up any mess.

Ill bump this thread when i buy another roll.Ive bought it for cheaper on another website will post a link."for the same roll youve got there"

Comment

Working...
                              X