Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Humidity] Glass aquarium or homemade melamine cage

Ok so im debating whether or not to buy a 100 gallon tank or build my own
    6"X2"X2" melamine cage with one side of the cage all plexiglass. I currently have my 10 month old red tail boa in like a 30 gallon glass cage and im having the hardest time keeping humidity up. I put towels on in the morning but by night time humidity is back down to like 30% and it gets quiet annoying after awhile constantly putting warm wet towels on the cage. I no you can either put something like window insulator on the screen or just get a plexiglass cut to fit the lid with ventilation holes throughout for better humidty.

But i still want some1s opinion on whats a better cage for when my boa becomes bigger regarding temperature and humidity. Another question is if i make my melamine cage, am i still able to use a heat pad or tape underneath or inside the cage? without getting to hot for the snake or possibly causing a fire because of the wood cage.

Re: Glass aquarium or homemade melamine cage

I hate my glass aquariums... I was thinking about building my own cages as well but I seen the boaphiles and I cant wait to get some. Tax return time!!!!! But ya, I would not get another aquarium.

Comment

Melamine is a better home if your on a budget.But if you can buy a plastic cage it will hold humidity and heat the best ,last longer and be lighter and look better.And melamine does smell and put off gasses when heated and yes heat them all the same UTH under cage with a air out space for the mat.1/4 to 1/2 inches spaced.

Comment

i would go with neither hit up a plastic cage search your local classifieds or even craigslist there's a lot of people trying to get rid of their herp stuff.

Comment

Boaphiles are definately on my list of "to buy" things but since the $$ was tight and I needed new caging this is what I did....

http://www.redtailboas.com/forum/cag...ed-caging.html

There are ways to make aquariums functional but it does take a lot of work--luckily the only things I had to buy were the insulation and the flexwatt since I had everything else.
          Last edited by zamora; 01-15-2010, 07:40 AM. Reason: sse
          http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Ok so if most people prefer plastic, then does any1 have a link to a website with somewhat cheap plastic cages..? All im seeing are expensive cages because i really don't have the money to be spending on a 400$ cage... Do melamine cages keep in humidity and heat well?(homemade)

And i kind of want to just get a 100 gallon glass equarium and somehow make a large plexiglass lid that will slide on with vent holes through out. Although im not sure how to make that but there are local plexiglass stores in my town that i can get the dimensions and get cut perfectly so maybe if some1 knows how or if they have a link to a guide how. On youtube a guy does it and it seems to work really well for keeping in humidity and im guessing heat too

Comment

My melamine are the only cages i mist twice a day.Sounds like you should just get whats cheapest and in driving distance for pick up. walmart has a digital thermometer with heat and humidity reading to for $9 bucks and just work with what you got to get your numbers.May be more work but it can be done .Lowes and home depo will cut plexi glass for you but make sure your lid is latched tight to prevent escape.I got some AP cages are you near VA ?

Comment

haha im from central cali in fresno but i might just have some 30 year old nerdy dude custom make a plexiglass lid for a 100 gallon aquarium and it seems to work well in his vids

Comment

Originally posted by Tlouen View Post
                  Ok so if most people prefer plastic, then does any1 have a link to a website with somewhat cheap plastic cages..? All im seeing are expensive cages because i really don't have the money to be spending on a 400$ cage... Do melamine cages keep in humidity and heat well?(homemade)

And i kind of want to just get a 100 gallon glass equarium and somehow make a large plexiglass lid that will slide on with vent holes through out. Although im not sure how to make that but there are local plexiglass stores in my town that i can get the dimensions and get cut perfectly so maybe if some1 knows how or if they have a link to a guide how. On youtube a guy does it and it seems to work really well for keeping in humidity and im guessing heat too

Do not spend money on an aquarium type glass cage ,

that's money down the drain

Take that money you would spend on the glass tank and put it towards
                  a Boaphile Plastics - Click Here enclosure

or click the picture !

Lar M
                  Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

buy the 421D cage from Boaphile. Hit the link Lar set up for you right below my post. Its 4'x2'x1' and it's plenty big for your 10 month old for at least a 4 years. It's only $209 delivered to your door!! I just ordered six of them and I can't wait to get them. It will be sooo much better than a glass aquarium. Not only the temp and humidity part, but from what I hear, the cleaning part too. Super easy. You can't go wrong. And trust me, I have a 40gal tank with the plexi on top, but it still doesn't hold heat or humidity well. Thats why I'm making the switch.
                    Will

Comment

Do not spend money on an aquarium type glass cage ,

that's money down the drain

Take that money you would spend on the glass tank and put it towards
                      a Boaphile Plastics - Click Here enclosure

or click the picture !
                      Once again i understand plastic is probably the best, but i dont have that kind of money as i said before.

and If im going to drop 200$ on a cage id want it for a long time, 4 years u say? Boas get full grown around 5 years, So if i were to buy a plastic cage i would pay the full price for a 60" or 72" boaphiles cage that will last me forever. And you make it sound like 209$ is it, that doesnt include the expensive prices to add heat sources or lights or flourecents lights which really adds up. Unless some1 knows how to install that themselves, boaphiles cages become quiet costly

Comment

Originally posted by Tlouen View Post
                        Once again i understand plastic is probably the best, but i dont have that kind of money as i said before.

and If im going to drop 200$ on a cage id want it for a long time, 4 years u say? Boas get full grown around 5 years, So if i were to buy a plastic cage i would pay the full price for a 60" or 72" boaphiles cage that will last me forever. And you make it sound like 209$ is it, that doesnt include the expensive prices to add heat sources or lights or flourecents lights which really adds up. Unless some1 knows how to install that themselves, boaphiles cages become quiet costly
                        First off everyone here is trying to help you and I promise they are. A 4x2x1 is plenty big for a boa's entire life. No need on getting something bigger unless it makes you feel happy. Jeff at the boaphile breeds his females in those cages so I say they are plenty big. Second, you should have thought about cost before getting a boa. A glass cage plain sucks unless you have it custom made and then you are probably going to spend more then a boaphile in the first place. Heat is cheap, lights are cheap and a thermostate is cheep so suck it up and get what's right for you animal. I am trying to say this in the nicest of ways also so please do not take it the wrong way. Trust the people here, they know what they are talking about.

Comment

ok bro im well aware that every1 is trying to help me and i respect everything that every1 has replied back to on this post, been very informative but if you could please read the topic of this forum it says glass or melamine cage? Just because i bought a boa doesnt mean i should be thinking about expensive costs. Not everyone has the money to afford nice plastic cages and your bad at trying to say in the nicest way if your telling me to suck it up. In YOUR opinion heat sources are cheap, but on his website they are kinda expensive to ME. So we have different views towards money cost but ok thanks for the better understanding of a 4 foot cage being just fine. I only considered a larger cage so my snake could get the full 6-7 feet and i just heard they dont grow bigger then their environment but 4 feet is a lil less then 2/3 the size of 7 feet so im sure it will work.

Lets just say i get the e 421D cage, what do people recommend for add ons regarding heat. Im probably gona get the flourecent light for day and night cycle but I live in central Cali, summers get to 100 degrees while winters wont drop below 35 degrees and room ambient temp is probably about 80.Is UCH x1.5 goo enough for keeping a basking area at 85-90 with a thermostat? and the cool side around 80? Just doesn't seem like it would send off a whole cage amount of heat with one UCH.

Comment

You could call Jeff for really dialed in answers on the heat requirements for your particular area.
                            My guess is 1 1/2 times heat would be sufficient on a 421D .

Lights are not needed unless you need it the Boa doesn't need it.

The Thermostat , yes that's about $100

But 100 gal tank is more expensive than a Boaphile prossibly the same once thermostat is added in

100 Long 72 x 18 x 17 Tall $307

100 Wide 72 x 24 x 13 Tall $368

Malamine yes less expensive for the melamine material but you still have to
                            purchase ,heat , some hard ware and probably acrylic window and vinyl
                            flooring plus construct it
                            i'm guessing somewhere around $100 give or take i've never priced Melamine
                            I've built my own cages out of Plywood material unless material is free it gets pretty costly still

The Boaphile Plastics - Click Here really is a nice alternative, something to think about

Alot of people do purchase Boas for $80-$120 but fail to consider the
                            added expenses of keeping one in the proper environment

They can be maintained in large Iris tubs 55L X 20w X 14H for $35

Lar M
                            Boas By Klevitz

sigpic

Comment

Between the two, a properly built enclosure would be a million times better than a glass tank of any size. Building things is fun and you can reasonably make something out of melamine or wood that'll suit your purposes.

For size, the rule of thumb is one square foot of floor space per linear foot of snake, so a 4x2 is perfect for a boa that you expect to stay below 8 feet. The height doesn't matter much because adult boas don't do much climbing. 12" high will do fine, but 18" makes for a nice looking display cage. Here's a cage I made a while ago:
                              http://www.redtailboas.com/forum/diy...ust-final.html

Although it ended up costing as much or more than a Boaphile when it was all said and done because I used high quality materials to make it "furniture grade" pretty.

There is a wealth of information on this site regarding heating options, so I suggest reading up on Flex Watt heat tape (for under belly heat) or radiant heat panels, the selection of which depends a lot on your ambient temps and other factors. You don't want to skimp on a thermostat, so research those as well because you will absolutely need one regardless of what you use to heat your cage.

Good luck, don't use glass if you don't have to, and whatever you do, don't forget to post pics! Oh yeah, welcome to the site and don't forget to check out the Ultimate Care Guide if you haven't already.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X