Anyone use these?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Temperature] Anyone use these?

So a few months ago I got a couple of these - Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer with Hi Lo Memory - to test out. I'm slowly upgrading all of my thermostats and cleaning up my reptile room so I don't have so many cords anywhere. I've switching over to these thermostats - Vivarium Electronics VE-100 - Reptile Basics Inc and I've been using this temp gun to check the temps in all the cages - PE-2 Infrared Tempgun.

This is where it gets weird. I've placed those new thermometers in a couple of the cages on the hot side and they give a dramatically different temperature than both the thermostat probe and the temp gun. I have the thermostat set to 88 degrees and when I check that area with the temp gun it also checks out at around 88 degrees. So I have two different devices given me roughly the same temp, +/- a degree. But the TH-100's that I got give a temperature of 94 degrees! That's a pretty big difference. I'm inclined to trust my temp gun and thermostat over these but I just find it odd that it gives such a big difference in the temp readings and was curious if anyone here had tried them before. Are these type of devices unreliable? I got them because it was nice to glance at them and see what the temps in the cage were but if they're not going to be accurate there isn't much point...
    “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
    www.outworldreptiles.com

Re: Anyone use these?

The Digital Thermometer/Hygrometer with Hi Lo Memory is mesuring the ambient tem and the PE-2 Infrared Tempgun is mesuring the surface temp. depending on what you are using to your cage these will vary quite a bit.

Comment

Re: Anyone use these?

That's what I was thinking but it's weird that the ambient temp would be so much higher than the surface temp. I use heat tape in all my cages so I would have thought the ambient temp would be lower or the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      “I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.” -DA
      www.outworldreptiles.com

Comment

Working...
      X