A Change in Bedding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Temperature] A Change in Bedding

NOT TEMP RELATED! (made me pick a prefix but nothing for bedding)

I just switched Peppers bedding to recycled paper after having coco husk for a while. She LOVED the coco husk but it was a pain to clean. It was hard to scoop out and always left a mess in the tracks of the Animal Plastics caging, so I had to pick small prices out after each handling session.

Is "EcoDrop" brand okay? I got it from home depot and it says it is made from 100% recycled newspaper. I can't believe how cheap this is compared to the husks.

I also added a bin with some of her bedding incase she wants to hide in it. She deff is not happy with me right now. She doesn't want to touch the floor of her cage lol. At one points she was sitting on her bedding and hovering half her body over the paper being careful not to touch it. I also changed her fancy water bowl to a plain glass one, so much easier to see if it needs a thorough cleaning.

Attached Files

Re: A Change in Bedding

I use plain old ugly newspaper. Just get her a decent hide.

-Sean in NoCal
    “Americanism means the virtues of courage, honor, justice, truth, sincerity, and hardihood – the virtues that made America.”
    -Teddy Roosevelt.

Comment

I think she probably doesn't like the paper because it feels slick and it's difficult to "grip". I had to switch from aspen to paper a while back and none of my snakes are happy with it. I will be going back to aspen soon so they will just have to tough it out for a while. Aspen is pretty cheap and VERY easy to clean.
      http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

I used to have aspen for my ball pythons but I had trouble with humidity. However I am not sure which aspen you are going to use but mine was really messy. I can still foresee it going in the tracks of the sliding doors.

I gave her a nice meal after I cleaned her cage and she just curled up in her hide (which she has never used before) and seemed pretty content. But who knows what is really going through their minds. I still feel terrible that I changed her bedding but it is so much cleaner in there.

I might put a thin layer of husk on top if I have reason to believe she isn't comfy. I feel like paper doesn't offer a lot of support so its like laying on a hardwood floor..

Comment

My snakes are all on newspaper, but they are very picky about what the news is. They have made it clear to me that they don't like anything to do with destruction of the environment, KFC advertisements or mud wrestling contests. So I have to be very careful not to offend them. Apart from that, though, they have never made any complaints about the newspaper, and I personally find it very convenient and cheap, and it works for me!

Comment

Originally posted by TammyJam View Post
            ....they are very picky about what the news is. They have made it clear to me that they don't like.....mud wrestling contests.....
            I have to say I'm really shocked that snakes would object to mud-wrestling? Perhaps because they see the potential for cheap exploitation, like in that certain show that claimed a human (in a high-tech suit, no less!)
            would be "swallowed" by a giant snake...as IF any snake would be so gullible!? Talk about junk food... (ROFL)

Comment

You guys are too much! hahaha

Comment

I imagine maybe anacondas may enjoy a bit of mud wrestling from time to time, like with Austin Stevens in that infamous episode on AP that I never tire of watching.

I have in the past kept a small "trope" snake on natural earth and cut grass/rocks, exactly what he naturally lives in. If at all possible I try to emulate their natural environment...but that is easier for me by a lot, because of the tropical environment I live in. The thing about particulate substrate is that it may get swallowed, you have to try to avoid that happening, just in case there is a problem. I have kept juvenile Ball pythons on terry cloth (towel) material as substrate too. Whatever you use, you have to watch carefully for mold (mildew) forming, as this is definitely not good.

Comment

....The thing about particulate substrate is that it may get swallowed, you have to try to avoid that happening, just in case there is a problem. I have kept juvenile Ball pythons on terry cloth (towel) material as substrate too....
                  Some substrates are much safer than others if swallowed, and remember that goes on in the wild too. And be very careful about feeding snakes on terry cloth towels, as they snag their teeth easily on it, and once it's ingested,
                  surgery is needed to save the snake. (yes, it has happened, thankfully not to me) As a rule, best to prevent snakes from swallowing any substrate, no matter what kind. (I think the worst ones I ever heard about were the
                  crushed walnut shells and also the dried bits of corncob: the walnut shells have tiny sharp edges that cut their insides when ingested, while the fibrous corncob bedding swells & can't be passed, as I recall?)

Comment

Of course I agree about not feeding them on the terry cloth bedding! Definitely not a good idea. I used to keep SMALL snakes in a tank with terry cloth bedding covering the entiree bottom, weighed down with the hide and water bowl, etc.

Comment

Of course I agree about not feeding them on the terry cloth bedding! Definitely not a good idea. I used to keep SMALL snakes in a tank with terry cloth bedding covering the entiree bottom, weighed down with the hide and water bowl, etc.
                      I knew that YOU knew that...I just wanted to clarify for any reader that may have misunderstood. I've kept many snakes with long teeth or fangs, it's always better to avoid the need to unhook them, lol...

Comment

Cool enclosure setup. I see alot of comments about everyone using paper... easier clean up hey LOL. I like, I like.. me I'm harder headed I using mulch cypress and forest cypress and it hold humidity perfect. Just my two cents LOL
                        sigpicJrock23

Comment

Originally posted by zamora View Post
                          I will be going back to aspen soon so they will just have to tough it out for a while. Aspen is pretty cheap and VERY easy to clean.
                          I work at the Peabody Museum's discovery room. For quite a while they were using hamster bedding for their black rat snake and eastern milk snake. Switch to aspen bedding last week. The milk snake, Cabot, is miles more active, and the rat snake, Ringo, is able to burrow. Ringo's little nose peaking out through the aspen shavings with everything else hidden is sickeningly adorable. Aspen bedding for the win.

Comment

Working...
                          X