Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not sure where to put this but... My Big Guy Pulled a Houdini! Please help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Temp-General] Not sure where to put this but... My Big Guy Pulled a Houdini! Please help!

So I was holding my big guy this morning and sitting on my couch. Well he decided he wanted to climb the side of the couch as he always does, so I let him but then he meandered back in between the back cushion and the arm rest into a hole I had no idea was there. My problem is I don't know how to get him out... My house is 76-78° but with absolutely no humidity. What can I do to lure him out, or is it just going to have to be a waiting game?

Re: Not sure where to put this but... My Big Guy Pulled a Houdini! Please help!

A few different options. You could tear apart the couch to get him out. You could wait him out while letting nobody touch the couch because they are filled with sharp metal bits. Or you can prevent anyone from touching the couch, pull out a feeder, dim the lights so you can see him as he is coming out and let his food smell and let him come out that way. Maybe someone else has some ideas? Good luck and let us know how it is going. Either way do not let anyone touch the couch until you can see him come out.

Comment

Many a couch has been 'sacrificed' for the sake of a snake, & I have to say, if that were me, I'd carefully cut into the back center (using small sharp scissors, NOT a knife!) or maybe better yet, turn the couch over and
      cut into the bottom where it won't show...see if you can reach him but be careful not to scare him deeper. Remember that you can cause him great bodily harm (including dislocated vertebra & internal bleeding) by pulling
      his body, so if you cannot reach him & gently guide him out, then try enticing him out with a tasty (dead!) rodent. At least you know where he is...it's surprising how fast our snakes can hide from us. Bet you'll never make
      this mistake again, lol...but you do have "plenty of company", ha ha!

You don't want to "wait it out" as he'll choose to come out in his own good time: maybe not for days...maybe not until he has a RI from being too cold, and he may disappear into an even worse place when you're sleeping
      or not at home. Good luck! (BTW: snakes LOVE the security of such places, so don't be shocked if he greets your rescue attempt with a bad attitude, LOL! Just remember, this is not HIS fault.)

Comment

Haha yeah I feel ya. He's usually pretty active and likes to move around, so I don't think he'll be in there too terribly long, but if it comes tomorrow evening and he still hasn't made his appearance I will sacrifice the bottom of the couch to get him out, I'm just kinda scared about flipping the couch because I don't want him to land on a metal piece or anything. But no worries, I live by myself, so no one else but me is touching the couch, and I'll make sure I don't sit on that part lol.

Comment

Don't sit on any part of it. He might move under where you might want to sit. What else can he get into if he leave that spot in the middle of the night?

Comment

Any luck yet? You might want to get a live mouse & keep it in a SECURE plastic ventilated carrier (about 7' from the couch) tonight. If that were me, I'd wait up (I'm a night owl anyway) with dim or no lights on.
            (& have gloves, jacket, snake-hook & maybe a second person+, depending on the size of your boa, as you'll be putting him in "feed mode"- so think safety!) Actually, I'd not have waited a day either.

When you keep snakes for a while you discover that they somehow "find" all the holes & crawl-spaces you never even noticed. Couches & recliner chairs are just notoriously problematic, as are the base of kitchen
            cupboards & all large appliances. (look under the front of your kitchen & bathroom cabinets with a mirror, as if you're a snake on the floor looking up...you'll see what I mean!)

Comment

I've had my ball python get half of her body down into my rocker recliner (far enough that I could not easily reach to her head) and ended up getting my wife to push down on the cushion to make the opening bigger so that I could slide my hand down to the snake's head and coax her back out. Another time I let her down on the counter and she got stuck in a coffee cup handle. She also has got stuck trying to squeeze through the rungs on our dining room chairs (this snake does not realize how big she is!). My boa, who is younger, slimmer but longer, almost got down a small hole in the baseboard that I had drilled for running phone/DSL cables - that would have been a bad one as he would have been in the ceiling of our basement.

Comment

Yeah, I hear that a lot that balls and bloods don't realise just how big they are and get stuck all the time. lol Haven't heard the same for boas other than they like to escape into holes we don't realise they can fit into.

Comment

Originally posted by acephantom903 View Post
                  Yeah, I hear that a lot that balls and bloods don't realise just how big they are and get stuck all the time. lol Haven't heard the same for boas other than they like to escape into holes we don't realise they can fit into.
                  This is true for ALL snakes. Even slender coachwhips & other racers lose their lives in the wild when they innocently try to go thru the 'bird netting' that some people use in their garden

(like to protect their plants from wildlife munching). That's another reason that if you drink 6-packs of any canned beverages, you should snip open all those plastic circles before throwing

them away*...so much of our trash is harmful to wildlife, not only snakes. They poke their heads in & end up getting slowly strangled when they grow larger. With snakes, the problem is any

sort of man-made holes that catch on their scales when they get to their wider mid-body- they cannot back out. "Hardware cloth" is also dangerous (to small snakes, etc) Please educate

your friends & family about what they use or leave in their yards. (and keep this in mind when you decorate a snake's cage as well) *Our trash ends up in the ocean too, even when we think

we've correctly disposed of it.

Comment

Update:
                    Sacrificed a foot and a half x 6" rectangle on the bottom of the. Couch, found him cuddled up and warm in a cloth spot under the couch, pulled him out no fuss, got him back in his rack, and all is well again lol. Thanks everyone!

Comment

Happy Dance! Easy to repair the bottom of a couch, snakes out-rank couches any day! Glad you got him 'home' safe.

Comment

Yay! A happy ending.

Comment

My girl likes to go down the sofa whenever she can sneak her head in and get started. Somebody recommended putting a blanket over the sofa and then replacing the pillows as a solution. She doesn't do the sofa trip anymore. Hope this helps.

Comment

That's a great idea, thanks Marya1962. I have yet to meet a snake that doesn't dive into couch cushions, LOL! (and rocker/recliners are very dangerous attractions too!)

Comment

Glad to hear that your Houdini is back safe and sound where he belongs!
                              http://berkeleyknebel.wix.com/mississippimorphs

Photo credit:Eddie Ard .....Banner Credit:Big PaPa Ernest

Comment

Working...
                              X