Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The never ending substrate question

Originally posted by Noelle7206 View Post
    For snakes that need more humidity, I do like orchid bark...but it's harder to find (here, anyway) & not cheap. I like the corrugated kraft-paper stuff from U-line, but cutting it to fit was a hassle, and because it's

paper, it will get soggy with spilled water. (used it for desert snakes-rattlesnakes etc) I don't blame you for ranting about wood shavings...I've never used them for snakes. Few of my snakes need humidity so I

mostly use a mix of Carefresh 'natural' & my clean shredded paper (mail etc, & never the outer envelopes btw). The Carefresh is a bit too clumpy by itself, the paper shreds are cheap & add fluff. When I kept a

large boa, I actually preferred to have several pieces cut to fit of indoor-outdoor carpet (the all-nylon backless kind): it's cheap, indestructible, doesn't harbor mold if wet, offers wonderful traction for the snake,

allows heat to rise thru (from UTH), can be hand-washed & even bleached to kill germs (holds it's color too!), very eco-friendly (did I mention it lasts forever?), and is just thick & stiff enough to stay flat. I suggest

cutting the pieces a few inches longer on all sides, then cutting a square "notch" out of each corner...this way you can fold up each side. It would take a determined burrower to go underneath it, & larger boas just

don't usually try. It comes in great natural-looking colors (brown, tan, green etc) is widely available (large home improvement stores) & while hand-washing (in the tub or large sink) isn't much fun, it drips-dry very

quickly (remember it's all nylon) and if you want the humidity, you can use it slightly damp anyway. Just shake the water out. You can spot clean it too, of course. That's my 2 cents...

One word of caution about carpet: Make SURE your snake never hooks it's teeth into it...so only feed using tongs or on a "plate"!

PS- Leftover pieces of indoor/outdoor carpet have many uses...for example, can be rolled up (& fastened) to form a snake 'hide'.
    Do you have a link for this carpet? All I have here is polyester and I think it has backing on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Re: The never ending substrate question

Originally posted by LoungeLizard View Post
      Do you have a link for this carpet? All I have here is polyester and I think it has backing on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Sorry, just saw this post- this is what I'm talking about: (a few examples...very tough & useful stuff, also for patios, boats & pick-up trucks, etc)
      BTW, this stuff can be cut with normal fabric shears. Some is "ribbed", some is flat-textured, both kinds come in nice colors & work equally-well.

As I've said before, it's nearly impossible to wear out in snake-cages...it's washable (in tub or laundry sink, as it's a little stiff) & CAN be disinfected
      with a little bleach (no color change) though don't use TOO much, as you MUST get the smell of bleach totally out to use near snakes & live animals.

After you hand-wash it, a few hard shakes outside removes most of the water, so if you want to add humidity you could use it right away, otherwise
      it drip dries fast & easily. I've never seen it mold either.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...144H/203240740

http://www.homedepot.com/p/TrafficMA...72FT/206535308

Comment

Working...
      X